AVS Forum banner

8381 - 8400 of 8428 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm seeing reports of CKVP having a much stronger signal now, maybe its been fixed? Anyone else?
Booming into mid-town Toronto as of April 2nd. Signal is strong and steady. All TVs are "locking it in", which is interesting given that first adjacent channel 30 Toronto is so strong. Will take field strength readings this weekend. Seems that they have made a major change to their facilities.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, long time lurker but first time poster.

I'm in North York, Toronto (properly pronounced Trawnna, y'see?). Six or seven years ago I lived on the 18th floor and got the full suite of Buffalo channels with one of those crummy square RCA indoor antennas but when I moved (much) closer to the ground I only got the basic CBC/CTV (sometimes) so went with cable.

After a protracted dispute with Rogers over their terrible service that never works and ever rising costs for less and less channels, I cut the cord (again) and put the antenna back up. None of the Buffalo channels came in and I didn't expect them to - but it got me Hockey Night in Canada so that's all I needed it for.

Then I got a new TV and re-scanned. And boom. WUTV came in. On the ground floor. Put it on the 2nd floor by a window, and WNED came in too, as did ION, but barely. Come to find out on here and rabbitears all about remapping, so I had been oblivious that everything had moved and just assumed they didn't come in at my new place. Re-scan on the top floor by a window also revealed new locations for local channels CITY-DT, CIII-DT, and the two OMNI networks.

Given the limitations of the RCA, I found a GE 32647 on surplus/clearance at Princess Auto for $12 and mounted it in my attic pointed exactly at the South Buffalo stations per my RabbitEars.info map. I've played with the alignment and angles and I pretty much have it in the best spot now.

View attachment 3118549

I am using the amplifier from the old indoor RCA plastic square antenna, which is made out of RG59 not RG6. Without that, I only get the 8 CN Tower stations, but with the RCA amp, I get CHCH, CITS (though I seem to be getting a lot of multi path or something on RF14 as the signal is strong but will intermittently cut out to zero), WUTV, WNED, WPXJ, and 95% of the time WGRZ. WKBW is at best 50% of the time and WNLO/WIBV on RF36 is rare - maybe 20% of the time, if that.

My question is simple. I know this GE is junk - I paid $12 for it, after all. I also know I'm using the amplifier for an RCA indoor antenna which is probably not optimal. I love that I'm getting free TV for such little expense, but, seeking expert opinion here, how bad is this thing (pictured above), and how "not recommended" is using the amp from that old RCA?

If I am getting WKBW & WNLO/WIVB "sometimes" with this thing, with a good attic antenna (I am not able to go with an outdoor for various reasons I won't get into), and an actual proper amp, would I reasonably expect to get both? Its annoying not having CBS/CW & ABC reliably, but I don't want to outlay real cash if it's not going to help. Also what would the best bang for my buck be to try and improve these two channels?

Thank you!
I would suggest the Antennas Direct 91XG from Amazon prime which is $77 CDN delivered in Toronto. You won't go wrong with that antenna if you have the space in your attic. You may not need an amp. The winegard amps are ok. There is a newer model which has software that allows you to take signal readings for aiming the antenna. The LNA-200 is $65 on Amazon.ca. I would lend you one to try out if you want to come to mid-town to pick it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I'm measuring out and the space might be an issue as I have a very low attic. It's more a crawl space (with nice pointy rusty roofing nails if you poke your head up too high...) It might fit but pointing it just right may be an issue. Appreciate the advice

It's weird, tonight I'm getting WIVB fine, but now WGRZ which is usually solid is not coming in. WKBW is fine too tho my tv indicates 'poor' signal. Seems like I can rarely get all of the colden area towers at once. It's always 1 or 2 out of the 3.

A quick unrelated question. Now that I get WNYO since it's on WUTVs grand island tower (I rarely if ever got it on its old rf16) I noticed they're advertising that they have Yankees games on that channel, but I can't find a schedule or any indications of which games. You click on Yankees schedule on their website and the 2019 Sched comes up which isn't much help. I scrolled ahead on the listings as far as my tv would go and didn't see any.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you, very helpful.

It's just a small sample of a few games a month I see but it's better than nothing. Especially for free.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks. I'm measuring out and the space might be an issue as I have a very low attic. It's more a crawl space (with nice pointy rusty roofing nails if you poke your head up too high...) It might fit but pointing it just right may be an issue. Appreciate the advice

It's weird, tonight I'm getting WIVB fine, but now WGRZ which is usually solid is not coming in. WKBW is fine too tho my tv indicates 'poor' signal. Seems like I can rarely get all of the colden area towers at once. It's always 1 or 2 out of the 3.

A quick unrelated question. Now that I get WNYO since it's on WUTVs grand island tower (I rarely if ever got it on its old rf16) I noticed they're advertising that they have Yankees games on that channel, but I can't find a schedule or any indications of which games. You click on Yankees schedule on their website and the 2019 Sched comes up which isn't much help. I scrolled ahead on the listings as far as my tv would go and didn't see any.
I will try to get you the size of the rear reflector of the antenna. It may be ok. WGRZ has been somewhat problematic this spring. I wrote to them to see if they were working on their antenna. No response. It was always the strongest of the southtown signals here. Not anymore

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will try to get you the size of the rear reflector of the antenna. It may be ok. WGRZ has been somewhat problematic this spring. I wrote to them to see if they were working on their antenna. No response. It was always the strongest of the southtown signals here. Not anymore
Please ask yourself, why would they need to reply to someone far outside their signal area and in a different country???
At least stations in Buffalo, NY USA acknowledge canadah by playing their national anthem. That's far more than I
can say of CFTO, CBLT, CHCH and so on..........

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
PIX11 or WPIX is a channel on my cable service
It's because the CRTC still classifies WPIX, WPCH (ex-WTBS), WGN, WWOR (ex-WOR), WSBK, KWGN and KTLA as superstations, so most Canadian cable and satellite providers offer some of them. It's also why Canada got Peachtree TV after TBS and WTBS split, and why they had to replace WGN's national feed with the local Chicago channel once the national feed eliminated the last of the Chicago programming.

They used to be superstations in the USA too, but once Syndication Exclusivity rules hit in the late 80s everything except WTBS, WGN and WOR, who launched seperate cable feeds with replacement programming, lost most of their national carriage. WTBS programmed themselves with a national audience in mind and up until the Peachtree TV split, nearly everything was simulcast on TBS except for some early morning Atlanta public affairs programming. WOR's cable feed was eventually shutdown in the mid-90s after they sold their C-Band transponder to Discovery so they could launch Animal Planet, while WGN's cable feed, which has long since eliminated all the Chicago programming, recently rebranded to NewsNation. The rest had their out of market coverage reduced to regional status that shrunk further once WB and UPN gained additional local affiliates. Now, outside of some cable systems who carry them as neighboring locals, the only way for out of market viewers to still get WWOR, WPIX, WSBK, KTLA and KWGN in the USA is to have a grandfathered subscription on Dish where if you remove them from your package, you can't resubscribe to them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its interesting because the map on rabbit ears says I probably shouldn't get wgrz indoors, but I do (usually). It however says I should get WIVB/WNLO but I rarely do.

Earlier I was trying to watch the NHL on nbc but it went out completely about halfway thru the 2nd period.

Problems with NBC aren't even the most annoying thing for me right now. Both 14-1 and 15-1 from Hamilton have strong signals. (3 or 4 bars on my old Toshiba tv) but will drop out to zero/no signal intermittently, which to me sounds like multipath? Is there anything I can do to try to mitigate that with my antenna or is it just something I have to deal with in my location?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
North York is in the vicinity of Pearson, so the signals from Hamilton might be bouncing off the planes as they take off and land.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its interesting because the map on rabbit ears says I probably shouldn't get wgrz indoors, but I do (usually). It however says I should get WIVB/WNLO but I rarely do.

Earlier I was trying to watch the NHL on nbc but it went out completely about halfway thru the 2nd period.

Problems with NBC aren't even the most annoying thing for me right now. Both 14-1 and 15-1 from Hamilton have strong signals. (3 or 4 bars on my old Toshiba tv) but will drop out to zero/no signal intermittently, which to me sounds like multipath? Is there anything I can do to try to mitigate that with my antenna or is it just something I have to deal with in my location?
That depends on what is causing the interference. My place down in Hampton, VA, is literally within 5 minutes walk of Langley Airforce Base. When those jets take off and fly overhead. It affects my antenna reception. In cases like that, there really isn't anything you can do about it. Ultimately, it depends on what is causing the interference, which is hard enough to figure out a lot of the time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Trawna, did you complete a signal study for your immediate area on RabbitEars?

Easiest way to do that is put the map pin right on top of your address and then press GO. You can save the Search Signal Study and post the link here for others to look at.

Reactions: Trawnna

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sure have. Many times, played with the heights and minute details and it is amazing the difference it makes. That website has become my favorite site on the internet.

My report is quite accurate, just I'd say its not quite right in terms of WPXJ-TV is very reliable rather than being "fringe" and WKBW is very fringe/intermittent.
WIVB/WNLO is rare. Though I did get that incredible Gonzaga game last night which I was grateful for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, Pearson Airport is pretty much directly in the path between you and the Hamilton stations.
I'm closer to Yonge, so not directly LOS to the CHCH tower (black line is me to CHCH/CITS tower), but yeah close. Honestly there's so many condo/office buildings relatively close to here too, just to my east, that signals are bouncing every which way off them.

I've never even got a sniff of a catch of CHCJ signal on 35-1 here, but that's hardly surprising I suppose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sure have. Many times, played with the heights and minute details and it is amazing the difference it makes. That website has become my favorite site on the internet.

My report is quite accurate, just I'd say its not quite right in terms of WPXJ-TV is very reliable rather than being "fringe" and WKBW is very fringe/intermittent.
WIVB/WNLO is rare. Though I did get that incredible Gonzaga game last night which I was grateful for.

Do you have a 3.0 tuner to get WNYO? ATSC 3.0 should mitigate any multipath issues. If that station comes in fine, your problem with other Buffalo stations is probably multipath from Pearson.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Def don't have atsc 3.0, but I rarely ever received WNYO when it was on RF16. Buffalo is actually slightly east of me across the lake so there shouldn't be any Pearson issues for those. It's basically due west of me.

This is me to WKBW in Colden, with the red dot Pearson. I don't think I should be affected for the Buf stations. Do airports have that much impact to affect signals coming from other directions? I would think Hamilton stations is plausible airport interference, but it shouldn't give me too much grief for the Buffalo ones?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Def don't have atsc 3.0, but I rarely ever received WNYO when it was on RF16. Buffalo is actually slightly east of me across the lake so there shouldn't be any Pearson issues for those. It's basically due west of me.

This is me to WKBW in Colden, with the red dot Pearson. I don't think I should be affected for the Buf stations. Do airports have that much impact to affect signals coming from other directions? I would think Hamilton stations is plausible airport interference, but it shouldn't give me too much grief for the Buffalo ones?

View attachment 3119166
I thought I'd add that since you're located in Toronto, you might be surrounded by high rise buildings and other "solid" structures. They could be reflecting TV signals around your home that would cause multipath problems. It only takes one errant reflection off a nearby structure to mess with a TV signal. The Toronto signals at your place are so strong, they could overcome most multipath issues. The weak Buffalo signals on the other hand, not so much.

8381 - 8400 of 8428 Posts