AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this today from North American DVD , I've only looked at disc one , so far I'm a bit disappointed in the video quality.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The cover looks different from the one I've been seeing on various DVD sites, is the Canadian version different from the American version?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by joekun
The cover looks different from the one I've been seeing on various DVD sites, is the Canadian version different from the American version?
I don't know if there are any differences between the US/Canada sets but its the same cover as the one on Amazon's site.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought the R2 set last summer, and there were definite problems with the video on some scenes in some of the episodes. The most obvious problems were in the season opener "When She Was Bad". It looks like they dropped every other line in the frame for a few seconds in certain scenes, sort of like watching it through mini blinds. Does the R1 version still have this problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nnolan
I bought the R2 set last summer, and there were definite problems with the video on some scenes in some of the episodes. The most obvious problems were in the season opener "When She Was Bad". It looks like they dropped every other line in the frame for a few seconds in certain scenes, sort of like watching it through mini blinds. Does the R1 version still have this problem?

I haven't checked it out again yet but I believe I saw exactly what you've described with lots of grain as well.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi,

Last night watched first 2 episodes of the Season 2 R1 set. Picture quality is no better than the Season 1. Quite a bit of grain in dim scenes and a overall soft tone. The good news is there is NO EE whatsoever.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
977 Posts
Like all good Buffy fans I ran out to buy Season Two today. Li On's above comments pretty much say it all in terms of picture quality...grain, grain and more grain...fresh baked bread anyone?

I still like to use The X-Files boxed sets as a standard for quality comparison in Region One. Unfortunately, the first two Buffy releases come no where near to being as good in terms of picture quality...the sharpness, proper contrast ratio, color saturation...all significantly lacking.

The extras are nice, including the "Buffy Bestiary" and "Designing Buffy." However, even on the extras I was hoping for High Definition video segments...similar to the documentary on the recent Blue Velvet SE for example.

If you are planning on buying this set, I would encourage you to do so...these are all great episodes, and a must have for any fan. I just wish the transfer quality was higher...is there any hope for the upcoming season sets?...especially considering Season Four should be wide screen!

A final note...the enclosed promo card lists Winter 2003 as the release date for Season Three...let's hope for some improvement!

Howie

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Howie
A final note...the enclosed promo card lists Winter 2003 as the release date for Season Three...let's hope for some improvement!

Howie
Will have up to Season 7 by that time from Australia. :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
is there any hope for the upcoming season sets?...especially considering Season Four should be wide screen!
Since S4 is anamorphic in R2 and R4 I can't see them doing a fullscreen version for R1.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi joekun,

I hope you're right...I'm assuming the same thing!

Lenny,

Thanks for rubbing it in! The only good thing is that the more time that goes by between releases the more I enjoy the episodes!:p

Howie

·
Registered
366 Posts
"I still like to use The X-Files boxed sets as a standard for quality comparison in Region One. Unfortunately, the first two Buffy releases come no where near to being as good in terms of picture quality...the sharpness, proper contrast ratio, color saturation...all significantly lacking."

Digital Howie are you serious? I find that the picture quality of the first two seasons of the X-Files DVDs are much worse than that of the first season Buffy DVDs.

I see ghosting and smearing on the x-files, especially on the second season that I never see in Buffy. It is true that the sharpness is lacking and the dark scene in Buffy are murky and look grainy but that is to be expected considering that the first two season of Buffy were shot in 16 mm film stock. I find the Color saturation on Buffy to be again better that the second season of x-files.

Now if you are comparing Buffy season 1 and 2 DVDs to the X-files after season three then I agree that X-files after season 3 looks better. But remember after season 3 Buffy begun shooting in 35 mm so the next release should interesting as far as transfer quality is concerned

If you want the best quality transfer of a TV series ever done on R1 buy Twin Peaks. The quality is amazing both in image and sound and of course

content.

Dennis

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I guess there are many variables involved comparing these two shows on disc. I guess the bigger issue for me is sharpness...and even the earlier X-Files discs look better in this respect. Its been a while since I watched the earlier releases so I went back to check out the X-Filies Season One set.

The earlier X-Files discs show plenty of garbage on them...watching for example the episode "Deep Throat" quickly reminded me of all the imperfections that do pop-up regularly, and are impossible to ignore. I can't say I'd want to trade a sharper Buffy image for episodes filled with infrequent blur and noise. The X-Files has definitely improved with the newer releases. I'm also counting on Season 3 and beyond of Buffy to look better.

I'm sorry to admit that I haven't picked-up the first Twin Peaks set yet. I'm aware of how good the transfer is, but I don't own it so I can't comment. Twin Peaks is one of my all time favorite shows...and for this reason I haven't bought the first set. I can't imagine watching those first episodes and not being able to continue on to the second season...I'm waiting until the rest of the show finally comes out! :D

ATB

Howie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.