AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok - time to horrify & shock the elite here....

my family & friends are not the only ones impressed by my HT - tiny californian gnats love it too!

sometimes they commit hari-kiri by staying on the screen after the show is over & get rolled up - thus becoming permanently anamorphically squeezed (technical term = "squished") on the screen material. (actually some non-anamorpic ones exhibit a "zoom" effect instead: squeezed in all directions...)

the "bug-pixel" effect (exterior body parts) is easily removed.

the problem is the "bug juice" (technical term: "bug blob") - a small 1 - 3mm yellowish stain that remains. any advice on removing it w/out ruining the screen?

none of this is really visible from my viewing position, but just knowing it's there "bugs" me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

ps: yes, i do a "bug check" now before retracting the screen (tedious - anyone have a discrete remote control function code for this? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif )

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not laughing at ya but with ya. Man that is some unfortunate stuff. Maybe you could spray "OFF" on the Screen. Or if you want to get real creative have an interior designer figure out a chic way to implement a bug zapper. Man that is one of the funniest (and unfortunate) problems I have ever heard of.

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Time to move the show indoors.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I get the same problem with my screen. Now I am very careful to close the windows and look for bugs in the room first.

The first time I cleaned a bug off, I scratched the surface of my HiPower screen off with it. Just recently, I "patched" the screen by gluing a chunk of the same surface material on top (from a sample piece mailed to me by DaLite), and it really did an excellent job. You very nearly cant see it at all.

So, no preventative solution, but at least a fairly good damage control solution.

Andy K.

·
Registered
375 Posts
bm,

What manufacturer and type of screen do you have? Some manufacturers have recommendations for cleaning their fabrics. (an example: Da-lite recommends "Goo-Gone" for removing crayon markings from the CinemaVision 1.3)

(When you work in a K thru 12 environment, you'll come across these little problems)

You might try them to see what they recommend.

Thump

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Thumper:
bm,

What manufacturer and type of screen do you have? Some manufacturers have recommendations for cleaning their fabrics. (an example: Da-lite recommends "Goo-Gone" for removing crayon markings from the CinemaVision 1.3)

Thump
Dalite HiPower

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Buy a full size 'horse hair' brush (soft britsles, and about 16" comb section). Keep it by the screen. Make sure the wife or such doesn't see it.. and confinscate it for house cleaning when yoou are not looking, and muck it up....

Keep it there for a quick, soft surface brush of the screen, before rolling it up. It will work well, and not damage the screen surface. Even a stewart screen will not be damaged. it must be a soft brush, though.

$15.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 06-19-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.