AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering building a big screen (Mitsu 73") into the wall, either from the front or the back. Behind the wall is a closet where I will keep the components. I can either cut out the whole size of the TV and back it in thus saving the use of the panel controls and front speakers but displaying the entire TV. Or, I can only cut the size of the screen, insert the TV through the closet only displaying the screen but losing the speaker and controls. Any thoughts, experiences, ideas, etc.? Thanks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Twice now, I have hads either built-ins or custom build furniture that gave my RPTV a nice, hidden, built in kind of look. Both times, I have had false doors over the bottom portion of the TV so that only the screen was visible. In my opinion, that give it a very nice look. Since I have always had a 5.1 system set up, I never use the TV speakers anyway. Also, even though the controls were covered up, the remotes have always worked. Here are some random thoughts.

1. When I bought my Marantz RPTV, the support folks had a whole document about how to convert it so it could be built in. This including removing the wheels and performing some other modification to the exterior. So, maybe Mits have a similar document. In my case, I did not use the documents because I did not need the screen exactly flush with the woodwork. I access the TV from the front, removing the false doors and wheeling the TV out of the enclosure.

2. When the RPTV is inclosed, heat can become an issue. Make sure you allow for proper ventilation. Since you have a whole closet, this probably won't be an issue.

3. The chamber for the TV can become a nice echo box (from the RPTV fans) if the fit is tight and no sound absorbing material is installed.

Since you have a whole closet, this probably wont be an issue.

Anyway, I would just go with a screen only visbile setup if your framing will allow it.

Regards,

Hal

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.