AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
@Javs

Thanks man, interesting. Its a good size as well. I'll look into it but it would be tricky to integrate with the current one if I built it as the 2nd sub due to the tuning frequency difference? I really like to bottom end response of the the hammer.

I was just going to say that after dialing the Hammer in I am very pleased with it. Just watched Blade Runner 2049 as a test and it was very tight accurate, it hits hard and shakes the seat just right, I am thinking 2 or 4 of these would be more than enough. Music is also fine not as accurate as the ML was but I can easily live with it. The port noise is gone I think I only heard it during the setup phase and it was just below tuning frequency.

The only thing that bugs me a little is a bit of ground loop noise.
I had to crank up the iNuke to about 75% on channel one and also add 5db boost in the miniDSP to bring it up to 75db to match the system and the humming noise is noticeable at that level. So any advice on that would be great.
Otherwise so far I am very happy , will do a week or so more listening and decide on the next build.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
@Javs

Thanks man, interesting. Its a good size as well. I'll look into it but it would be tricky to integrate with the current one if I built it as the 2nd sub due to the tuning frequency difference? I really like to bottom end response of the the hammer.

I was just going to say that after dialing the Hammer in I am very pleased with it. Just watched Blade Runner 2049 as a test and it was very tight accurate, it hits hard and shakes the seat just right, I am thinking 2 or 4 of these would be more than enough. Music is also fine not as accurate as the ML was but I can easily live with it. The port noise is gone I think I only heard it during the setup phase and it was just below tuning frequency.

The only thing that bugs me a little is a bit of ground loop noise.
I had to crank up the iNuke to about 75% on channel one and also add 5db boost in the miniDSP to bring it up to 75db to match the system and the humming noise is noticeable at that level. So any advice on that would be great.
Otherwise so far I am very happy , will do a week or so more listening and decide on the next build.
There is no issue at all with blending subs with different port tuning, but of course thats up to you... If you try and blend sealed with ported thats a bit more difficult.

Im not sure about the ground look issue that sounds a bit odd. Make sure the USB is not connected to anything on the minidsp during listening, that can cause a ground loop in my system.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
There is no issue at all with blending subs with different port tuning, but of course thats up to you... If you try and blend sealed with ported thats a bit more difficult.

Im not sure about the ground look issue that sounds a bit odd. Make sure the USB is not connected to anything on the minidsp during listening, that can cause a ground loop in my system.
Yeah the miniDSP is causing a digital noise as well but that's different, once unplugged its gone but this is different noise, if I unplug the speakon cable from the Behringer it stops.

OK I am about to decide on the next sub as I am keen to start so I'll chat to you shortly.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Yeah the miniDSP is causing a digital noise as well but that's different, once unplugged its gone but this is different noise, if I unplug the speakon cable from the Behringer it stops.

OK I am about to decide on the next sub as I am keen to start so I'll chat to you shortly.
Go big.

Just do it.

Use the driver I recommended you can probably even get one cheaper than the ultimax and it's a better sub, you will probably still get 11hz in your room easy even though the tuning is higher, don't discount what room gain does. The graphs are what the subs would do in a field.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Go big.

Just do it.

Use the driver I recommended you can probably even get one cheaper than the ultimax and it's a better sub, you will probably still get 11hz in your room easy even though the tuning is higher, don't discount what room gain does. The graphs are what the subs would do in a field.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Yes I get that thanks. So can you supply me with a cut sheet?
I am just about to order and the 12" is out of stock so...

A window was about to crack in the room next to the cinema when playing BL 2049 at -20db so yeah room gain does help :) Checked out the shotgun scene in John Wick 3 and it was awesome, much punchier then with the ML sub so I really don't need more than the 12" but I am 100% sure it would always be in the back of my head what if so i'll see where I can get the 18" around here.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
@Javs

I really like to bottom end response of the the hammer.

I was just going to say that after dialing the Hammer in I am very pleased with it. Just watched Blade Runner 2049 as a test and it was very tight accurate, it hits hard and shakes the seat just right, I am thinking 2 or 4 of these would be more than enough.
So It sounds like it's living up to its name!:D

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

That's not really accurate. difficulty wise, Blending sealed and ported is the same same as blending ported with different tunings. The issue is there's a phase shift at tuning that's not present at the same frequency in the subs your aligning too. So in theory it's easier to blend a ported and sealed as you only have one phase shift vs blending ported with different tuning frequencies that have shifts close where there's still output below the HPF but not at the same frequency.

People often say you can't mix that with this but don't know why. Thats why. If you measure to align the subs , which you have to as really that's the only way, it's doable.

Of course the easiest alignment is using identical subs, followed by mixing sealed with ported.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
That's not really accurate. difficulty wise, Blending sealed and ported is the same same as blending ported with different tunings. The issue is there's a phase shift at tuning that's not present at the same frequency in the subs your aligning too. So in theory it's easier to blend a ported and sealed as you only have one phase shift vs blending ported with different tuning frequencies that have shifts close where there's still output below the HPF but not at the same frequency.

People often say you can't mix that with this but don't know why. Thats why. If you measure to align the subs , which you have to as really that's the only way, it's doable.

Of course the easiest alignment is using identical subs, followed by mixing sealed with ported.
Well that's easy to model too. Not much of an issue here. I see your point on sealed though, interesting.

People are doing that every day with mains which reach 60 or 80hz ported to 45hz and pairing with a sub which tunes at 20hz or whatever. If one aligns them properly then you can mitigate it.

These 3 designs (one is yours I believe) are all within 30degrees anyway.

Can I ask you something, why did you allow the first port resonance so low on your design?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Gents so I decided to pair the Hammer with Javs' recommendation. Starting the build shortly. It will be very interesting how the two will integrate but I am sure I will have fun with the process.

The hammer is great and more than enough but if I don't try going big it will always be in the back of mind "what if".
So if it works out I might end up with 2 Hammers and two Javs's design and sure with that firepower I will get the ultimate in bass quality.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Gents so I decided to pair the Hammer with Javs' recommendation. Starting the build shortly. It will be very interesting how the two will integrate but I am sure I will have fun with the process.

The hammer is great and more than enough but if I don't try going big it will always be in the back of mind "what if".
So if it works out I might end up with 2 Hammers and two Javs's design and sure with that firepower I will get the ultimate in bass quality.
Great! Once you experience an 18" subwoofer, ditch it and move up to a 21" pro driver:D You'd be well on your way to full on Bass Addict:D

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Great! Once you experience an 18" subwoofer, ditch it and move up to a 21" pro driver:D You'd be well on your way to full on Bass Addict:D
Hehe yeah, nope, I would be very happy with a pair of the Hammer as well but I enjoy the build and experimentation.

I am genuinely worried about structural damage :)

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Well that's easy to model too. Not much of an issue here. I see your point on sealed though, interesting.

People are doing that every day with mains which reach 60 or 80hz ported to 45hz and pairing with a sub which tunes at 20hz or whatever. If one aligns them properly then you can mitigate it.

These 3 designs (one is yours I believe) are all within 30degrees anyway.

Can I ask you something, why did you allow the first port resonance so low on your design?

My port resonance was like 180hz well high enough to ensure there's no issues with LFE or bass management.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hehe yeah, nope, I would be very happy with a pair of the Hammer as well but I enjoy the build and experimentation.

Definitely try going big. I mean I've had 4 fridges in my last theater. I was going to do 4 hammers in the new one as I know I'd have more ouput to 20hz than I need but now I'm doing 2 devs It's a sickness but fun. Of course I will have 4 Hammers in the living room . Especially if you're curious to try it may as well.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

Well I enjoyed sealed 18’s, and decided to upgrade to ported 21’s. I also have 5 18’s that I’ll use somewhere down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Down low it definitely hits harder than the ML did, for music its not as precise but close
Accuracy is often blamed when EQ can fix the problem. Often a lowering of the 100-300hz range improves what is perceived as detail by reducing muddiness. It's worth a shot to try a single PEQ at 200hz -2db or so with a wide enough q to lower the range from 100hz to 300hz. Try it and see how it sounds.

Your box looks great.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Yeah I see the addiction definitely :) Do I need that much firepower? Definitely not :) Am I happy with a single hammer in the MLP? Hell yeah, will I be thrilled when the Faital sub is added? I'll be smiling all the way for sure. Good problems to have.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
“Firepower” is dependent on your usage to be honest. I have enough firepower from a single NX3000 to power both and hit my goals. The reason I did upgrade was to solve a few problems and maybe get the ability to wake my neighbors. I use two bridges MX3000d’s to power them and that’s mostly for DSP correction headroom.

But really, I solved a midbass issue and extended my ULF with this upgrade and there was a cheaper way of doing it but the NSW’s are flipping awesome for the price.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
“Firepower” is dependent on your usage to be honest. I have enough firepower from a single NX3000 to power both and hit my goals. The reason I did upgrade was to solve a few problems and maybe get the ability to wake my neighbors. I use two bridges MX3000d’s to power them and that’s mostly for DSP correction headroom.

But really, I solved a midbass issue and extended my ULF with this upgrade and there was a cheaper way of doing it but the NSW’s are flipping awesome for the price.

What did you have before the NSW's?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yes I am building the 2nd sub to smooth the response and have seat to seat consistency otherwise a single one is perfectly fine. A single 3000NX will be enough, at my listening levels so far the max power drawn was 305 watts and it was window cracking loud.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts