AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tl;Dr: Considering building a soffit type box to aim in ceiling speakers that were a great deal. Is it worth it; will it work?

Long post:

Hello all. I know this kind of question can often be met with friction; however, I am in situation where I want to explore an option to make use of some speakers that I purchased a while ago for an excellent price. (these DI's here: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-UESA-In-ceiling-Speaker/dp/B001UL7PLU?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=UWVcbLdwEeOzNPJ1rARu_gZcD5_2z0e3_0_0_0) I don't have the funds to purchase the setup I want and don't really plan put near $1,000 into a good home theater system, so that's kind of where I'm coming from with this. My new home is pre-wired for surround in the ceiling - L,C,R, up front, and two Rear. My question is in reference to trying to "aim" these flat in-ceiling speakers to point more toward the listener so I can use them as my front L and R and purchase a good center to be used with them in the near future. What I'm thinking about doing is making a box out of mdf or plywood or even framing and then drywalling / finishing a box that drops down about 12 to 16 inches from the ceiling and maybe 6 to 8 inches out, leaving an angled front that faces down toward the seats in the room. Then, mounting the ceiling speakers and center channel in that box. It would almost be like an oversized soffit with speakers mounted in it and maybe some down-lights or something to make it look nicer. I'm trying to take advantage of stumbling across an amazing deal for those speakers; ones I normally would never buy. Am I wasting my time considering this (I can do the woodwork or framing / dryall without trouble), or should I turn around and sell two of the four speakers and forget about ceiling mount all-together (the rear's placement seems like it will be just fine). Doing so is almost a last resort as we have a very large entertainment center that precludes easy integration of floor or even bookshelf speakers for front and center.

Thank you very much for your help!!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
That makes some sense generally from an acoustic point of view, but no matter how good a deal you got, it doesn't seem worth the effort. If you're good with drywall, I'd just take the chance and try installing them in the ceiling and see how you like it. You may just want to stop there. It's not by any means ideal, but it's way better than TV sound.

Note that it's the high frequencies that are most directional, which is why only the tweeters pivot.

It might help if you tried to give people some idea of the room layout.

Is there really no way to build boxes that would fit in or near the entertainment center, or on the wall?

A few things to keep in mind:

- You'd want to have separately enclosed spaces for each speaker, and typically add some insulation or something similar to dampen things. Do a little googling.

- There's a recommended volume for the boxes / enclosed space for speakers. Not a hard and fast requirement, but something to check into.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much for your advice. I think your replies have contributed in leading me to decide to forget about trying to use the DefTech speakers as fronts and building all that stuff. I'm going to consider going a different route and I think it would be best to start a new topic to ask those questions as I'm going to abandon this idea for now. Thank you for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.