AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mid-construction in my basement finishing project, and before I put up the drywall I want to sort out my audio and video stuff!

This is just for a family setup, nothing too hardcore but I do appreciate the "nicer" stuff.

The room is approx. 12x18 3-sided (the 4th side (18' wall) is open to hallway. TV will go on one of the 12' walls.

I was looking into Klipsch speakers, and wondered what was my best bang for the buck. Premiere line vs. Reference, 6.5" towers vs 8", etc... I've only ever done 5.1 setups, so not sure if I would know what I'm missing to go 7-channel. I was thinking of doing in-ceiling for the rears, I figured it was ok to sacrifice a touch of quality for the simplicity of not having anything hanging on the back wall. But apparently there's lots of choice for in-ceiling!! What's really important... pivoting? silk or alum tweeter, etc...

As for a receiver, I'm partial to Yamaha so I'd like to stick with that.

Any experts want to weigh in? First question I'm sure will be budget... I'm flexible. If it's worth the premium I don't mind paying for it (within reason of course!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so I think my original post may have been all over the place and probably not easy for anyone to help with... so here's some more detail:

Ceiling height is only 7' in this area of the basement, as it is below the sunken living room. The remainder of the basement is on the other side (ie top of the picture where it leads to open space). If it's important, I can re-draw to include the entire basement.

Here's what I'm thinking for equipment:

Front L/R: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-260SB (2x6.25")
Center: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250CB (2x 5.25")
Surrounds/Rear: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-240SB (2x4")
Sub: Kipsch SW112B (12")

I haven't picked a receiver yet, going to start looking into Yamaha's shortly (I've always had good experience with Yamaha's so that's why I picked).

My biggest question is whether or not I'll regret not going to bigger stuff.... ie. 8" towers, quad center, or the 5" surrounds. With 2 little kids I'm pretty sure my above setup will provide more than I'll ever be allowed to drive, so it's probably sufficient. But I hate to under-do it from the start! :) Also, I've never had a 7 channel setup, so I'm not sure if adding those additional surrounds are worth it given that layout.

And no, I'm not allowed to extend the walls any further to close up the room, she won't let me.

Appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts