AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning toward building my own sub. My requirements are that it hits at least 20hz, be comparable to the SVS PB-1000 and HSU VTF-2 MK4 in terms of sound quality and performance. Is this possible for less than $500? Or for that money should I buy one? My room is 14'x13'. I have 2 PA-120s that do a good job now, but I want to take a step up in class and want a lower response.

·
Registered
588 Posts
2 Stereo Integrity 18's ported to whatever size you want with an Inuke3000, pretty much the best value you can get for the $$.
Probably can do one of them for 500ish but I have a feeling you'll want two after finishing the first one (and it's a perfect match for an Inuke if you buy the right coils and wire at 2 ohms per side)

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
^^ many folks running that combo with good results. the secret password is: marty. ;-)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was very skeptical at first but I can assure you that 2 Stereo Integrity HT18's and 1 nu3000DSP will very much impress. If you need more proof read this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1949425-another-noob-seeking-advice.html

Sometimes I like to test and see how low my 2 subs go and I found a site on you tube that is a frequency test. It starts at 20,000hz and goes to 0hz. This may not be the most accurate test but for what it is worth my subs are pretty constant down to 20hz then the volume goes down but the floor shaking things vibrating is pretty intense this lasts till about 15hz then all you hear are the subs moving till about 13hz. I like it!! You can build subs that go lower but for me this is perfect.:)

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
20 should not be a problem, especially with room gain.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Can y'all help me design a a Marty? My room is 14'x13'x8'. I can go 23" tall by 30" deep and up to 48" wide. I want to get as low as possible with my budget. I'd like to stay around $600. Id also like to do as little wiring as possible. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Ok, Can y'all help me design a a Marty? My room is 14'x13'x8'. I can go 23" tall by 30" deep and up to 48" wide. I want to get as low as possible with my budget. I'd like to stay around $600. Id also like to do as little wiring as possible. Any help is appreciated.
The Full Marty is 24" x 25.5 x 48" Everything you need to know is here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1648673-martysub-faq.html

You can change the dimensions to get it 23" instead of 24" but and maybe add to the 25.5" dimension (26.5"?). What counts is the overall volume. 1" change in that dimension would be less than a 1 cu. ft. (.708) change in volume.

Just remember that if you do change the dimensions it's no longer a Marty. Call it a Bloodta Sub, or something.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Ported sub, any size ya want, Marty's are specific sizes, and are no different that any other ported sub, except all the leg work has been done for you with proven configs.

Nothing magical, Auger is right, this will be Bloods One-Off ported sub, and be just as effective if the Volume is kept the same.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The volume that matters is internal after the port, driver, and bracing has been subtracted. The port takes up a lot of space in the Marty's to keep air velocity low. There is also a double thick baffle of 1.5" and .75" off all other sides.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The Marty says its 11cf, but i calculate 17cf, what am I missing?
^What Samps said. You calculated external volume using the outside dimensions of the box. Actual internal net volume varies according to how much bracing used. Net volume will be somewhere between 11 and 11.8 cu. ft., depending on these factors. Calling it 11 cu ft is just a placeholder, similar to calling a woofer 15" when it may be 14" , or a TV 40" when it may be 39.4";)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The volume that matters is internal after the port, driver, and bracing has been subtracted. The port takes up a lot of space in the Marty's to keep air velocity low. There is also a double thick baffle of 1.5" and .75" off all other sides.
Roger that, makes sense. So if I build a full Marty, lay it on it's side, the ports should be on a side instead of the bottom like if it was right side up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts