AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 8" subs in my front towers, and the low end extension isn't quite what I want it to be. They go down to about 30hz (claimed, not measured), but my room is pretty large so the output isn't quite what it needs to be. I started looking at manufactured subs, and I didn't see much that really appeals to me in the sub $1000 range. The Epik valor looks nice, but those are always out of stock. I saw lots of good comments about building your own, so I am entertaining the idea.

I haven't really set a budget, but I would like to keep it under $700-800. It has to look pretty decent to get the WAF. And speaking of WAF, it can't be huge so I have been looking more at sealed or passive radiator designs.

I don't need anything crazy loud. I have two young kids, so I rarely get to listen to movies loud. I am looking more for the low frequency extension at modest volume.

One design that interested me was one that had one 12" peerless driver, and two 12" peerless passive radiators in an 18" cube. He used something like a 325 watt amp, and claimed to get over 100db at 20hz in an anechoic chamber. I started looking for parts, and it appears like I could do this for under $800. Is this a good design? Is there anyone that has created a similar design with good result? Will this do ok in my room? If not, what suggestions do you have based on the things I am looking for?

Thanks

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you want deeper then, all other things remaining equal, you want a larger driver. There are always exceptions like if you find some of the small boutique drivers that cost big bucks but dig down low. Also there are lots of large drivers that wont dig low no matter what your enclosure. You just have to model your brains out and find one you like, or use someone else's design.

If you're looking for deep bass a sealed sub may not be right for you unless you're willing to use lots of EQ and lose the associated headroom.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
have you considered getting bigger speakers instead of adding subs ?

i say try something like this first:

http://www.mackie.com/products/sa1532z/index.html

if you want to get good sound your speakers have to be able to produce decent bass on their own and subwoofer should merely add depth to it.

if your speakers just can't seem to be able to fill up the room then you need bigger speakers not a sub.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHD21 /forum/post/15481694

If you want deeper then, all other things remaining equal, you want a larger driver.

i very highly doubt that deeper is what he really needs. he needs louder. either way he needs a larger driver. 8" just is not serious for anything but desktop speakers or maybe if you listen to some kind of folk music or something.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/15481733

if you want to get good sound your speakers have to be able to produce decent bass on their own and subwoofer should merely add depth to it.

if your speakers just can't seem to be able to fill up the room then you need bigger speakers not a sub.

While I agree with your diagnosis, Your solution would cost about $3000. Well over his budget and sure to make the kids cry!

I was once tempted to try those MAckie's myself but Mackie says the horn gain + noise floor on the tweeter amp is too high for home use at anything but extreme concert levels (hissssssssss)

Dr V

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/15481733

My speakers are fine. I probably wasn't clear enough in my first post. My speakers have all the bass that I need playing the music my wife and I listen to. The problem that I have is with the low frequency effects in movies. My front speakers just don't go low enough, so there is content that I am missing in movies.

This is the page that has the info for the sub design I am referring to. http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/outsour...siveRadaiator/

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum /forum/post/15481956

Mackie says the horn gain + noise floor on the tweeter amp is too high for home use at anything but extreme concert levels (hissssssssss)

Dr V

havent thought about that.

well i used JBL EON 1500 at home with QSC PLX 2402 with no problem ( 98db/watt speakers driven by 2400W amp )

but when i used Beyma 104db/watt bullet tweeters in the car directly coupled to 150W/channel JL Audio Slash series amp ( rated for 108 DB SNR ) i did experience a pretty serious hiss problem.

maybe its because 104 is more than 98 or maybe because i was at most 3 feet away from those tweeters.

so based on my experience this could very well be a problem if they are using something like 108 db / watt tweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb /forum/post/15482475

My speakers are fine. I probably wasn't clear enough in my first post. My speakers have all the bass that I need playing the music my wife and I listen to. The problem that I have is with the low frequency effects in movies. My front speakers just don't go low enough, so there is content that I am missing in movies.

This is the page that has the info for the sub design I am referring to. http://www.d-s-t.com.au/data/outsour...siveRadaiator/

those are reputable drivers and passive radiators are a good match for home theater application as well. build a PAIR of those subwoofers and you will probably be happy.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Is it just that you really give totally f'd up comments and recommendations from thread to thread or what?

Good lord.

Brian

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
this hiss is caused by the noise floor on the *amp*. plx2402 has noise floor that is down >100db, so no hiss.

the subwoofer project looks good and should meet your objectives. the idea of a pr sub is that right direction for you...max home theater rumble in minimum volume.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/15514247

this hiss is caused by the noise floor on the *amp*. plx2402 has noise floor that is down >100db, so no hiss.

thats wrong way to think of it.

in the JBL speaker the tweeter is padded down from whatever it was originally ( like 108 db/watt ) to 98 db/watt which is the overall efficiency of the speaker system. this essentially pads the hiss down 10 db.

if you were to take the tweeter out of JBL and connect it to PLX directly there would probably be hiss.

overall the PLX is a super clean amp though, i am very happy with it.

the JL Audio amp that i used to drive beyma bullet supertweeters had the same Signal/Noise ( at least on specs ) ratio as the PLX but the hiss was very prominent. the difference was active crossover and no padding on the tweeter.

in my mackie active monitors i don't get any hiss though ( not audible from more than a foot away ) but thats probably the tweeters here are only about 90db/watt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts