AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So recently my wife allowed me to go ahead an cater to one of my long standing dreams of having a decent music listening setup. I went to a couple of places and ended up with something that despite putting a massive dent on me financially, the sound was just perfect for my ears. It's a work in progress as of right now but I ended up picking up a pair of B&W Diamond 804s in piano black. I am pairing that with a Musical Fidelity M6si. I heard the M6i with those speakers and loved the sound. The M6si from what i can tell is just a newer refresh of the M6i. I am about to order the M6si. I am also thinking I will go with an oppo bd-105 player. I am open for suggestions whether the oppo is a good idea or not. Next question would be - cables. I am quite unsure of what route to go. The demo setup I listened to was using audioquest rocket 33s. My initial reaction is to go with that. Any other suggestions alternatives?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Oppo 105 is good.

Cables - don't be suckered by the salesman. Rocket 33 @ Crutchfield - Your price: $328.99

Start with basic (read inexpensive, but of good construction) wires. There is plenty of discussion on that around here.

Blue Jeans Cables gets good votes for being good quality and no BS.

--

I 'make' my own.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just a suggestion, Seems a waste to use the Oppo 105 in a two channel system. Don't get me wrong, that is a nice player but has so much to offer a shared HT / Music setup.

I would either:
(1) Sell the Oppo 105 as they hold their value well
(2) Put the Oppo 105 into your HT system if you have one

And then purchase a very nice dedicated used CD / SACD player with great DAC's

My thinking on this is that option (1) is really not the best option as it is a great player so why get rid of it.

There is so much out there to choose from and the prices are nice.

Just my suggestion.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is why I love this forum. I will check out Blue Jeans. Thanks!

And as for pdjmwj's suggestion. Well the shared HT/music setup was an idea that had come to mind. I know it's a stereo setup but my wife is not a fan of having a lot of speaker wires etc etc in the living room and sure I can get it installed professionally so the wires can't be seen and all that. But the living room is for casual tv watching, guests chilling, but mainly for listening to music whether it's just us or with guests. I also acquired a 65 inch xbr900b mounted on the fireplace with the b&ws flanking the fireplace.

Here's a pic of the setup:

I figure I will get the oppo to hdmi to the tv and optical out to the M6si? Not sure if I have thought through it yet. But even more so than that I will need to figure out some cabinetry on the sides of the fireplace to put all the components in a nice manner. Lots of food for thought!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Apologize for the suggestion. Did not know this would be an integrated system with HT. I concur that the 105 is perfect for CD usage. My system is an integrated one that shares an Oppo. I also have a nice CD player when I want to mix it up. Nice speakers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray I think you are referring to the Darbee edition Oppo.
@pdjmwj no apologies needed I was not clear enough myself. I just ordered the Musical Fidelity M6si and can't wait to receive it. I will have to get some cabinetry done to place all these components properly. I'm more worried about that to be honest haha.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The Oppo 105 is not a good choice if you are using optical to the M6si. The 105 is only required if you are using it's analog connections. The 103 will do exactly all of the same things. Oppo will tell you that in their website as well.

I have a similar set up, TV and 2.0 music. I chose the then 95 as I was using the analog out for a headphone amp, otherwise I'd have gotten the 93.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The M6 doesn't appear to have optical, it is mainly an analog device. So, you'd most likely want XLRs from the Oppo 105.
Yes you are correct. Today I was looking closer at the user manuals of the disc player and the amp and xlr is the way to go. Monoprice to the rescue :) Can't wait for the amp to get delivered and then to order the player!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Take the cable and Oppo money and use it for a subwoofer which will have more impact on your music reproduction than the rest of the system combined. An inexpensive blu ray player will handle CD's just as well as the Oppo and the cable issue has been discussed above.

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
Take the cable and Oppo money and use it for a subwoofer which will have more impact on your music reproduction than the rest of the system combined. An inexpensive blu ray player will handle CD's just as well as the Oppo and the cable issue has been discussed above.
Well IMO, the Oppo 105 will outperform other players for analog audio. And although a subwoofer is a good idea for movies, IMO it's not needed for music, especially with good B&W speakers. To each their own.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah with the diamond at least in the audition I did not feel like a subwoofer was needed. As for cables I'm rolling my own something I've never done before. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Well IMO, the Oppo 105 will outperform other players for analog audio. And although a subwoofer is a good idea for movies, IMO it's not needed for music, especially with good B&W speakers. To each their own.

Your opinion, though, doesn't include any bias controlled comparisons so it is not correct. An inexpensive blu ray player will play a CD just as well as any CD player and cost less. I'm suggesting ways to fit a subwoofer into the budget which will make a substantial sonic difference.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well I think there's something to be said about the quality of DAC in the player no?
Before this gets into an ugly debate about DACs, I will second the opinion on adding a subwoofer. I got a pair of KEF Q700s thinking they went deep enough to satisfy my 2-ch music needs, and they did sound good. However, I added a SVS SB2000 sub and it makes a huge difference, especially for jazz. Using the bass management in my Oppo 103 I have the towers crossed at 70Hz and it actually adds more detail to the mids and highs, or at least by removing some muddied lows they are more discernable. The SB2000 in piano black will look great with your new speakers!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha I definitely want to keep this thread civil and appreciate all the feedback. I will look into the sub if and only if the wife allows me but more importantly after my poor bank account recovers!

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
Well I think there's something to be said about the quality of DAC in the player no?
I fully agree. Both the quality of the DAC and the implementation of the DAC. If all players sound the same with analog output, then every single professional reviewer is either a liar or an idiot (and I'm sure they know about listening bias). There are several beta testers posting on the Oppo threads who I trust, who state that the 105 sounds better than the 103, for example, for analog audio output. I can tell you from personal experience that my Denon 3910 had a very different sound signature than my other players, and it had nothing to do with listening volume (not saying better or worse, but clearly different).

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
For the money spent on the Oppo ID rather have a nice subwoofer and a "good enough" optical player. I think adding the sub would have more impact on the overall sound of the system, as opposed to having the Oppo and no sub.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts