AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not quite a HTPC but.......you all help me with my HTPC I fiqured this is a good as spot to start as any.

Have any of you folks built a surveillance system of sorts?

I work in a small office building and we are in need of about 8-12 cameras.

I would like to toss a computer in our rack, a 24port switch (never know how many cameras we will end up with) and use IP cameras.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay427 /forum/post/20842630

Thanks

Will give it a look.

Jay

Running 12 cameras seems like a lot of network bandwidth and cpu overhead, you probably need to find a site where people have tried it. It might be ok if the cameras are motion triggered so only send video a few at a time. Its a pretty specific thing you are doing.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
video from ip cameras is usually mjpeg for the cheap cameras or h264 for the more expensive ones. each one consumes a fraction of a fast ethernet link, so the total bandwidth isn't super high.

however doing motion detection on 12 cameras will require some decent horsepower from the cpu.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see you can buy a package but was just thinking if I made our system it may work out better.

We use a IP based phone system that I made up and thats been great, was hoping to do the same with the CCTV. I will say it does not seem to be as common as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I've never seen the costco system. it all depends on what you want. if you just want to record 8 video feeds, then the costco system is probably fine. if you want to access the system from your smartphone, want to set up zones, send text notifications, etc. then zoneminder is probably a better solution, but it will require more work.

for quality, security cameras are like regular digital cameras - the more you spend the better picture you can get.

I have fairly inexpensive ip carmeras (~$100) and they are ok. spending 2 - 3x will improve the picture significantly, but I don't need it for my situation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Trust me on this one...I've spent several years experimenting with IP cameras from the cheapest to the most expensive and they are not worth the effort.

Go to costco and pick up a qsee system and be done with it. You can monitor from the internet, phone etc. and the quality will be the same.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
^Yup. I have 2, a Kguard and Qsee. I prefer the software on the Kguard. Got them on sale @ newegg. Cheap cameras at amazon.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have a q-see system from Costco that I installed around 6 months ago. The system was on sale at a very attractive price. The DVR is very nice and loaded with features. The cameras....that's another thing. Though for the price I paid the DVR alone was worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.