AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 32" panel hardwood door to my theater that matches all of the house doors. It is 32" wide because of the original requirements of the room with the riser, but design has changed and I can go 36". Anyone have any thoughts on 32" vs 36" door size?

In any event, I was thinking of doing some custom modifications to make this door more soundproof.

I was going to reinforce the hing side of the jamb (and maybe the entire frame) with 3/4 plywood and add two more hinges. I was then going to green glue and screw some MDF to the inside of the door that I can paint to match theater or cover with fabric, while keeping the outside of the door the same style and color as the rest of the house. Maybe a drop down sweep or some other type of soundproofing seal. The weak point is the seal around the door itself, or better put the lack of a seal. Although foam stick on weather stripping would be easist, removing the door framing and using a kerf blade to make a slot for exterior type weather stripping would also work great. Any thoughts on this? Thanks,

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,146 Posts
that is going to make adding layers of MDF more difficult as swing action works best when the pivot point of the hinge sit in front of the inside surface. You will either need to move the hingesor get long throw hinges.

It is much easier to add layers on the inside of an out swinging door. You just move the door stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts