AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been throwing around for a while now to not do a home theatre system in my home. I move alot cuz i am young and its just such and issue to redo everything. So my whole issue now is HOW will i put together a happy with myself 2 channel rig without destroying my ever so tiny budget. I am slowly trying to work around what i have. I own a older pioneer integrated amp for the late 80's thats got pre-outs so i was going to add a amp first to get the ball rolling. I also own a pair of jbl hls-810's that sure sounds great for the $85 bucks i spent on them. Im going all BLUE JEANS CABLE on my system, cuz i believe that there a honest company that should have my money. so i will be adding cables and little heres and theres as i go. my only thing is.... where should i be going???


I am stuck on a few things though...

the current oppo dvd player (for the decent sound and divx and flash drive mp3 playback)

the current emotiva cd player (read amazing reviews)


now where should i be going with with upgrades on speakers...pre amp....amp....and eq?


help would be great guys, you sure know your things!


ima CL hunter so brands that i should keep a eye out for would be great!


thanks guys

Preston
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts
How powerful is your current amp? An upgrade might not be worth it.


In general, if you're on a limited budget, you should put as much as you can into the speakers. They make the difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its 50x2.


id like to at least get it up to 100 high current.


i was thinking about getting the hsu bookshelfs


there getting rave reviews for a 300 speaker!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts

Quote:
its 50x2.


id like to at least get it up to 100 high current.

Why? Do your speakers, or the speakers you're thinking about, require it?

Quote:
i was thinking about getting the hsu bookshelfs


there getting rave reviews for a 300 speaker!

So does everything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be mostly listening to very heavy metal/hardcore music and some rock and a little bit of movies. Ive been at a loss of words with my little pioneer. since ive had it, ive bought 5 receivers and have sold/returned all of them as my pionner (entry level from the date made) sounds better then ANYTHING ive found in the under 500 surround range and under the 200 range stereo receivers. And i just cant do the no remote thing anymore. PSB is sweet. And im also a big fan of paradigm. I had a pair of 5se-mk's and the original atoms for a little while that i got the CL for the LOW! but the wood colouring and the wife didnt get along. So off they went. was very sad, they were so clean and just a entry level set of towers and bookshelfs!


I want to at least get something that can achieve or better the sound quality im getting with newer things.


A remote is a must.

No AM/FM

Just dvd, cd player and computer/mp3 hookups needed.


something in the strong bass department would be loved, cuz the music i listen to tends to have ALOT of low end bass drops that without the right equipment will sound like CRAP! ive had receivers that wouldnt even pic them up!


SOMEONE HELP!!


would like to stay with THESE brands but open to others


speakers....

hsu

paradigm

klipsch (older)

psb

b&w (ones with higher db please)

higher end polk


integrated amps/pre/amp

nad

cambridge audio

adcom

arcam

rotel

cary


model numbers please!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonP /forum/post/16886722


I will be mostly listening to very heavy metal/hardcore music and some rock and a little bit of movies. Ive been at a loss of words with my little pioneer. since ive had it, ive bought 5 receivers and have sold/returned all of them as my pionner (entry level from the date made) sounds better then ANYTHING ive found in the under 500 surround range and under the 200 range stereo receivers. And i just cant do the no remote thing anymore. PSB is sweet. And im also a big fan of paradigm. I had a pair of 5se-mk's and the original atoms for a little while that i got the CL for the LOW! but the wood colouring and the wife didnt get along. So off they went. was very sad, they were so clean and just a entry level set of towers and bookshelfs!


I want to at least get something that can achieve or better the sound quality im getting with newer things.


A remote is a must.

No AM/FM

Just dvd, cd player and computer/mp3 hookups needed.


something in the strong bass department would be loved, cuz the music i listen to tends to have ALOT of low end bass drops that without the right equipment will sound like CRAP! ive had receivers that wouldnt even pic them up!


SOMEONE HELP!!


would like to stay with THESE brands but open to others


speakers....

hsu

paradigm

klipsch (older)

psb

b&w (ones with higher db please)

higher end polk


integrated amps/pre/amp

nad

cambridge audio

adcom

arcam

rotel

cary


model numbers please!!!!

If your listening loud then you can't go wrong with Klipsch.. but be warned there bass levels aren't all that great.

PSB are very good for the money and also Paradigm. Polk also make

a good rock speaker and the LSi9's are very good. Also since I am a Dynaudio fan you might want to check out there new Xcite line of speakers

which I have heard great things about.


As far as Int. Amps go try in this order(my preference of course).


1.) Musical Fidelity A3.2/A3.5 - Cary more expensive but some say worth it, I would call it a tie with MF depends on system speakers etc..

2.) Rotel/Arcam and NAD

Arcam FMj A18 or DiVa A80

Rotel RA-1062 Int. Amp

NAD 355BEE has great reviews and plenty on Audigon for sale look for prices used around $500. Has plenty of hook ups and you can add more Amps later if you wish. Has MP3 hook up right on the front

of receiver for iPod etc...

Cambridge Int. Amps



The new NAD BEE series has been getting rave reviews and for the money there hard to beat. Good luck and happy hunting......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman /forum/post/16887272


If your listening loud then you can't go wrong with Klipsch.. but be warned there bass levels aren't all that great.

That must surely be model-depedent and not a generality for the brand, My Klipsch are fine, for instance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys


its not that i will be listening to music loud (live in a apartment) but the fact that if i turn it up a little ways that i will not hear distortion.


with my current set up things are great, i mean i know i could be at alot better shape.


but for the 130 bucks it cost me I cant complain.


I just want to work my way into the audiophile ways cuz ive always been into the idea of great sound.


Im trying to stay in the....


$200 preamp

$400 amp

$300 cd

(or like $400 or $500 for a int. amp)

$500 speakers....

range


a sub will never be needed in my setup as long as the speakers i have can hold there own with the low end bass drops of my music...my jbls do a great job but there is a def drop off that i dont like that i know could be fixed with new/better speakers.


the paradigms I had were amazing and didnt distort at any range i threw at them! but were just to damn warm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonP /forum/post/16888249


thanks guys


its not that i will be listening to music loud (live in a apartment) but the fact that if i turn it up a little ways that i will not hear distortion.


with my current set up things are great, i mean i know i could be at alot better shape.


but for the 130 bucks it cost me I cant complain.


I just want to work my way into the audiophile ways cuz ive always been into the idea of great sound.


Im trying to stay in the....


$200 preamp

$400 amp

$300 cd

(or like $400 or $500 for a int. amp)

$500 speakers....

range


a sub will never be needed in my setup as long as the speakers i have can hold there own with the low end bass drops of my music...my jbls do a great job but there is a def drop off that i dont like that i know could be fixed with new/better speakers.


the paradigms I had were amazing and didnt distort at any range i threw at them! but were just to damn warm!

Spending $300 on a cd player when you are only spending $500 on a pair of speakers is an absolute waste of money. When you are on a budget almost your entire money should go towards speakers and then amp and last the source. A $300 cd player is not going to make a pair of $500 speakers sound better than a $50 to $100 player.


If you look at your budget it is distributed in the following way:


$900 electronics

$500 speakers


That is totally backwards. I would recommend you spend $1000 on speakers and then $400 or less on electronics. Here is a setup that is great for rock and you will find that you won't need a sub.


PSB Platinum M2 $1000 with stands
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ies-M2-Cherry-


That speaker is now discontinued but it retailed for over $2000 brand new not too long ago. They are a very neutral speaker with bass that will amaze you for their size. IMO there is no speaker that you can buy brand new at your price range that will touch this speaker SQ wise.


As far as electronics go this would be a good option:


Cambridge Audio DVD89 Universal player $120
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....o-DVD89-Silver


Cambridge Audio 540A Integrated Amp $349
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....540A-V2-Integr


New model is out so you can get the old version for a very good price brand new.


So basically that puts you over budget by $70 and you will have a system that will totally blow away the one compared to your old budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, i didnt even think of that


somehow i got the idea of that if i spent more on the components that things would work out better


thanks for the advice


Id love to get another pair of paradigm atoms again, they were great for me!


as of right now i could live with my pioneer and just upgrade the speakers. so i could use the whole budget on speakers (and maybe a okay cd player?)


Def want bookshelfs though.


anyone had any good luck with the b&w 686's?


i heard them at a hi-fi store by my area and they were amazing....but running on a cary cd player and krell amp (just cd to amp thru balanced) and it was to die for sound


but what happends when i get them home?


on my limited budget will they really sound any dif?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonP /forum/post/16889138


wow, i didnt even think of that


somehow i got the idea of that if i spent more on the components that things would work out better


thanks for the advice


Id love to get another pair of paradigm atoms again, they were great for me!


as of right now i could live with my pioneer and just upgrade the speakers. so i could use the whole budget on speakers (and maybe a okay cd player?)


Def want bookshelfs though.


anyone had any good luck with the b&w 686's?


i heard them at a hi-fi store by my area and they were amazing....but running on a cary cd player and krell amp (just cd to amp thru balanced) and it was to die for sound


but what happends when i get them home?


on my limited budget will they really sound any dif?

Since you getting bookshelves only if you still got the $1000 buy those PSB M2. Those speakers were made for rock. They also have good sensitivity so your current amp will power them fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks!


but idk where my budget is taking me right now. i was figuring it would be more simple to get the little upgrades I figured i needed first before speakers cuz mine are okay for now


id say in the 3 to 5 range for speakers right now is as high as i can go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
Speakers make the most dramatic impact in a sound system. Of course diminishing returns will apply but the threshold is a lot higher than electronics. If you can muster $1000 for a used pair of speakers that will hold you for a long time since to better $1000 in the used market you have to spend over $3500 easy on a new pair to better them and in some cases that is not even enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
If you have a limited budget, don't waste money on cdps or amps, put your money where it really matters(speakers)


With normal listening levels Speakers make up about 50% of the sound. The room makes up the other 49.9%, cdp and amp make up the remaining .1% of the sound. When you start listening at reference levels the amp starts coming into play more.


Currently you are spending $900 on electronics and only $500 on speakers.


$1000 on the speakers and $400 on electronics would give you much, much better sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
Well as far as used here are some speakers I have owned or heard that go well with rock.


Dali Ikon 2 (owned)
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....KON-2-monitors


These speakers have extremely airy and detailed highs but the mids are a bit recessed. Very easy to place though as no toe-in is required. If you are a bass head this is not the speaker for you. It will reach down to about 38Hz with decent slam though.


B&W CM1 $900 new

Impressive little speaker. Has the famous BBC hump so midbass is a bit more emphasized but it gives them the appearance of putting out a lot more bass than they do. Depending on the music you might find that won't want a sub. Not very neutral but still a smooth sounding speaker that tends to sound good no matter the source material.


NHT Classic 3 ($700 new)
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....e--price-reduc


Very neutral speaker that has detailed mids and balanced highs. Bass is very tight and punchy as they are a sealed speaker. Can sound very analytical at times depending on the source material but all in all a very good all around speaker.


And this would be my choice for $1000 used

PSB M2
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ies-M2-Cherry-


IMO one of the best rock speakers I have heard costing less than $4000. Punchy bass and clear mids with a very smooth top end. Not a fatiguing speaker in any way. When I was auditioning speakers in the $1000 range I made the mistake of listening to them even though I couldn't afford them at the time. They are now discontinued which is why you can buy them for half price on audiogon but a great speaker nonetheless. If these weren't on ebay at the current price I would probably go for the NHT Classic 3. BTW these speakers are pretty heavy for a bookshelf at 35lbs each. There is also another pair of black ones if you dont like cherry color for a bit more on audiogon too.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....Bookshelf-Spea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
those psb's look freaking sweet! would look really good in my place. So you think they can keep up with constant double bass and low end bass drops?


the dynamics of my speakers are just to harsh! they sounds so good for movies but heavy heavy songs (that are CD QUALITY) sounds just to harsh!


Would the psb's work fine with my 50x2 pioneer?


and anyone have any good luck with the oppo dvd player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonP /forum/post/16890273


those psb's look freaking sweet! would look really good in my place. So you think they can keep up with constant double bass and low end bass drops?


the dynamics of my speakers are just to harsh! they sounds so good for movies but heavy heavy songs (that are CD QUALITY) sounds just to harsh!


Would the psb's work fine with my 50x2 pioneer?


and anyone have any good luck with the oppo dvd player?

Vector is right, you want to stick most of your money into your speakers and work down from there. Speakers>Amp>Source etc.... You can't go wrong concentrating on the most important thing and that being speakers.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top