AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading past forum posts, it appears that a DVI-D connection, if made over high quality coax cable, can be run up to 9 meters. Nine meters is 4 meters longer than the max length spec'd for DVI-D.

I would just buy a high quality DVI-D extension and give it a shot, except that the connectors will not fit through the opening in my wall.

I need to solder the connectors on after running the cable.

So, I need the following:

1. DVI-D connectors. 1 male. 1 female.

2. 25 ft of High quality coax cable with the proper wire count.

3. The proper pin-outs and preferably a wiring diagram.

Can someone hook me up with a source for these items?

Any additional recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
As DVI-D connections consist of 4 (single channel) or 7 (dual channel) differential pairs methinks COAX would not be the best choice. Perhaps BIAX if it could be found with a 100 ohm differential impeadance? Sounds risky, bulky, and expensive. Let us know how it works :D

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave -

What?

You are mocking me, or are way beyond me.

I am trying to find out the type of wire/cable to try, and a source. An EE I am not.

But a quick google search for "100 ohm differential impedance" does turn up the things like the following:

"Use two RG- 174 50-ohm coax cables to route a differential, 100- ohm signal into the designated signal pin pair. Let this signal go through the connector to the far side. On the far side, terminate the signal differentially with 100 ohms. "

What that means in relation to DVI connectors, I have no idea, but If the term BIAX is added, there is only one result....

So, what kind of wire is used in DVI cables?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.