AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a projector, carl's blackout cloth, and 3"-wide felt tape and I want to build a nice, semi-permanent screen in my basement.

I was planning on buying wood and framing everything, but stumbled across a screen with a back-light and thought it was really cool.

Any suggestions for cool ideas? I thought about curtains on the sides, but I don't have enough room between the walls without sacrificing screen width (16:9). How do most people accomplish the back-lighting?

Attachments

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,188 Posts
Al3xK,

Most every build that employs the bias edge lighting involves a Frame that would have a stand off "overhanging" edge at least 1" deep. You show in your diagram a 108" wide x 61" screen area.

Building a Frame that would allow you to install a exterior Trim is the easiest and most sensible way to do what you want to do. If instead you wanted a Zero Edge design, then you would have no Frame and the Screen Frame must set raised a minimum of 3/4" on another smaller Frame / Cradle that is 1.5" inset around all edges. The latter also applies should you continue to opt to use the Black Tape over the BOC wrapped edges. You really don't want to do that though....

Your choice of Black Out Cloth (BOC)will complicate things a bit as it does not Stretch at all or Fold into neat, flat corners very well. If cost was the factor for using the Black Out Cloth, be advised that the small additional cost of using Carl's Flex-White or Flexi-Grey ($30.00 extra) allows for a much smoother, and/or brighter image, and one that can accommodate a easier to build and lighter weight frame that will cost just enough less to make up for the difference in the price between the two materials.

If indeed you just ordered (Friday) I would Call & Email Carl and change that order ! Yeah...it's that big a difference, and I would not suggest such if it wasn't.
(...and if you did not order the BOC to come on a Roll....Oops...you most assuredly want to do that because the creases that develop in BOC when it is shipped folded are verrrrry hard to straighten out. They require you to pull HARD, which means the Frame must be very stout...which means the frame will cost more to build...and be substantially heavier.

You did not mention what PJ your getting. And you chose Tape as a Border. That all pretty much points to decisions you have made on your own based on what you've read and your own budgetary reasons. Which of course is OK as far as your own dictates, but when you come on and ask questions "before" you pull the Trigger, we can offer you sage advice that can greatly improve your results, as well as help you avoid spending good money on less than satisfactory results. It's what we all try hard to do on a daily basis.

Sometimes it doesn't work that way and the Cart comes to us before the Nag. So we will try to Nag you. :D And since the likelihood any of us will get to share the child of your creation, the advice comes to you as both sage and unselfishly motivated.

So read, take heed, and follow as best your able.

As far as the Frame build, we have your back and can instruct you in the best and least expensive way to get there.
Ditto on the Back Lighting
If your Screen will be jutting so close to the side walls and ceiling, care must be taken to consider the back wash of the Light from the Back Light lest it do you more harm than good. Those surfaces MUST be treated to reduce reflections.

Depending on the tendency of your room's surface to deliver reflections back onto the screen, the choice of a White Black Out Cloth is a poor one. Even without the presence of Back Lighting, the Screen itself will work against it's own performance. Choosing the Flexi-Grey can help that out either way, and if your buying a budget PJ with less than interstellar Blacks, the Grey surface will help you out in that department as well.

As such, helping you determine the best Throw distance for the PJ is also paramount to being critical.

So you see, rushing headlong into the breach of Home Theater building can be fraught with unintentional errors, the biggest one being not getting all the information in hand to do it right the first time around. So slow down just a wee bit and benefit from a measured approach.

So I advise you maintain the PJ order, but cancel the BOC & Tape for another couple days if possible. And if they did already ship, (in a Box.:eek: :( ) well....I have my own little inroad with Carl's Place and can intervene on your behalf (...if asked...).... and I'm sure they will accommodate a change for you. And it would / will be very much worth the effort to do so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Al3xK,

Most every build that employs the bias edge lighting involves a Frame that would have a stand off "overhanging" edge at least 1" deep. You show in your diagram a 108" wide x 61" screen area.

Building a Frame that would allow you to install a exterior Trim is the easiest and most sensible way to do what you want to do. If instead you wanted a Zero Edge design, then you would have no Frame and the Screen Frame must set raised a minimum of 3/4" on another smaller Frame / Cradle that is 1.5" inset around all edges. The latter also applies should you continue to opt to use the Black Tape over the BOC wrapped edges. You really don't want to do that though....

Your choice of Black Out Cloth (BOC)will complicate things a bit as it does not Stretch at all or Fold into neat, flat corners very well. If cost was the factor for using the Black Out Cloth, be advised that the small additional cost of using Carl's Flex-White or Flexi-Grey ($30.00 extra) allows for a much smoother, and/or brighter image, and one that can accommodate a easier to build and lighter weight frame that will cost just enough less to make up for the difference in the price between the two materials.

If indeed you just ordered (Friday) I would Call & Email Carl and change that order ! Yeah...it's that big a difference, and I would not suggest such if it wasn't.
(...and if you did not order the BOC to come on a Roll....Oops...you most assuredly want to do that because the creases that develop in BOC when it is shipped folded are verrrrry hard to straighten out. They require you to pull HARD, which means the Frame must be very stout...which means the frame will cost more to build...and be substantially heavier.

You did not mention what PJ your getting. And you chose Tape as a Border. That all pretty much points to decisions you have made on your own based on what you've read and your own budgetary reasons. Which of course is OK as far as your own dictates, but when you come on and ask questions "before" you pull the Trigger, we can offer you sage advice that can greatly improve your results, as well as help you avoid spending good money on less than satisfactory results. It's what we all try hard to do on a daily basis.

Sometimes it doesn't work that way and the Cart comes to us before the Nag. So we will try to Nag you. :D And since the likelihood any of us will get to share the child of your creation, the advice comes to you as both sage and unselfishly motivated.

So read, take heed, and follow as best your able.

As far as the Frame build, we have your back and can instruct you in the best and least expensive way to get there.
Ditto on the Back Lighting
If your Screen will be jutting so close to the side walls and ceiling, care must be taken to consider the back wash of the Light from the Back Light lest it do you more harm than good. Those surfaces MUST be treated to reduce reflections.

Depending on the tendency of your room's surface to deliver reflections back onto the screen, the choice of a White Black Out Cloth is a poor one. Even without the presence of Back Lighting, the Screen itself will work against it's own performance. Choosing the Flexi-Grey can help that out either way, and if your buying a budget PJ with less than interstellar Blacks, the Grey surface will help you out in that department as well.

As such, helping you determine the best Throw distance for the PJ is also paramount to being critical.

So you see, rushing headlong into the breach of Home Theater building can be fraught with unintentional errors, the biggest one being not getting all the information in hand to do it right the first time around. So slow down just a wee bit and benefit from a measured approach.

So I advise you maintain the PJ order, but cancel the BOC & Tape for another couple days if possible. And if they did already ship, (in a Box.:eek: :( ) well....I have my own little inroad with Carl's Place and can intervene on your behalf (...if asked...).... and I'm sure they will accommodate a change for you. And it would / will be very much worth the effort to do so.
Great info. I'm a little impulsive at times and I think that can get the better of me.

The truth is, I got so excited and ordered some generally highly reviewed stuff, then started looking into the screen-build to find out how much more complicated (reflections, backlight, felt tape, etc) it was than I thought. My budget is flexible. I'm not looking to double it, but I don't want to end up with a bad product. Here is what I ordered, and unfortunately it's mostly all arrived (AV receiver in transit)

Also, I've attached a real-life picture of the space I'm planning on using.

I don't have enough rep yet to post URLs, so I had to change http to hxxp.

hxxps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MK39P92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hxxps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067RTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hxxps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COF74G2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hxxps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hxxps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JF7IXYY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hxxps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KA7BAA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hxxp://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001202C44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
hxxp://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029HHIDY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WTVCOLVN15GP
accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv475bl/yamaha-rx-v475-5.1-channel-network-av-receiver/1.html

Projector - 599
PowerCable - 11.24
CeilingMount - 31
HDMICable - 13.99
FeltTape - 39.99
Screen - 74.95
Speakers - 299
Wire - 15.44
Receiver - 199.99

Total of $1285

Attachments

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,188 Posts
Well you should expect to pay more than $1300.00 for any well thought out and researched "Home Theater" that features a 124" diagonal Picture.

While you might / should be able to come in under 2x that amount, in reality...and bluntly stated, you won't be way off that mark.

The reason being is the choices made reflect your just having read some things but no actual research, and receiving almost no advice. That's not intended to be a berating comment....it's a route many do / have taken. What it does mean though is that your really not well informed enough yet to know exactly what you need in a given situation to optimize your dollars spent yet not sacrifice quality and installation considerations.

One smart move....the essential items ordered (listed below) came via Amazon Prime, and thereby are easily returned on their ticket if deemed as coming as "Not what was described".
You'll have to run with that. Let's just say the description of such does not fit your needs.

The harsh reality is, they are all the core of your system.

• Projector. Too bright - very limited placement (no Lens shift / Vertical Keystone only ) - extreme tendency to produce the rainbow effect (2x Color Wheel)
  • Mount. Absolute junk. Well know problem maker. Difficult to work with / adjust precisely
  • Screen Material. Critically important, no compromise change.
The first one on the list affects the choices to be made on the other two, and represents the biggest jump in price...as well it should. If we/you can hold that increase down to under $500.00, but keep close to that, then things will improve exponentially across the board. By my calculations, and including the cost of the Screen frame, I'd reason out your budget at coming in just under $2100, $500.00 under the dreaded "2x$" amount. And that includes your LED lighting.

I sent you a PM with a few suggestions (and one very important one) so if your game to regroup and attack this build with vigor and purpose, you'll have all the ammunition you need.

Lock-n-Load....but please, keep the muzzle pointed away from my head. I'm just the messenger here. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts