AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife finally parted with a portion of her terrace garden and let me build a home theater.

First off all I find myself very fortunate to build a room that can be dedicated to music listening and watching movies. The room will be 3.96 meters wide, 7.38 meters long and a height of 2.7 meters. So with a little more than 29 m2 it's not a big room at all.

We live in a duplex penthouse (5th & 6th floors with terrace rights). So, traditional construction methods are a bit difficult. I plan to take the prefab route.

Proposed HT Room area.

Columns set and trusses on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi BIGmouthinDC,

Keen observation and rightly pointed out! The trusses were salvaged from an existing structure, which was in front of my 5th floor duplex penthouse supporting a shade.

I have built a new structure and converted it into a sky deck and usable space. You can see the old structure below the new one.
The old trusses are shifted to 6th floor to support the composite slab of my HT. So load bearing is not an issue.

Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 3 pics are of the composite decking sheet being fixed.... in fact yesterday...the plasterers were skimming the walls and pouring the concrete slab....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gujarat? ;)
How will you prevent the bass from rattling the metal roof?
Gujarat? nay... newly formed state Telangana!:D
That is not just metal roof Bass...It's going to be composite slab of 3" thick concrete laid on top of the decking sheet.

In addition, will be doing thermal insulation to the ceiling from below and acoustic panels to tame the bass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started laying of electrical, speaker and signal cables. The cabling work is being carried out by a local guy and someone from my work giving him a hand.

To reduce hum and noise I want to install a dedicated line with only a single ground from the audio / home theater system to the electrical service panel. Don’t want to attach anything other than the A/ V system to this special dedicated line.

Expecting the result to be noise and hum free power with a 'deep black background'.

By this stage of the project, I have already identified the following :

• Placement of all speakers
  • Placement of A/V components
  • Placement of video source
  • Lighting needs
  • Possible future enhancements
  • Thermal Insulation & Acoustic Treatment
BTW I have provided a frame also…for supporting the screen.

I will try and post pics if there's interest...as soon as i work out how to do it....!!
I have all the kit i need already for this…mix of new and from old lounge... not top end by any means...but works for me...

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,230 Posts
Interesting screen frame, are those vertical pieces the width of the screen? is so why are they off center in the room?

Just another thought at this stage had you considered an acoustically transparent screen a little larger and then you could tuck the speakers behind the screen? I see a couple of pedestals and assume those are for your speakers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of panels?
Planning to treat the corners with bass traps. I am also looking into membrane type bass traps which will absorb only lower frequencies. This won't absorb the high frequencies and still retain liveliness of the music.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Interesting screen frame, are those vertical pieces the width of the screen? is so why are they off center in the room?

Just another thought at this stage had you considered an acoustically transparent screen a little larger and then you could tuck the speakers behind the screen? I see a couple of pedestals and assume those are for your speakers.
The steel is just to support the screen frame and also to act as additional bracing to the prefab wall panels.
I am going for a 154” X 69” AT screen with 2.35:1 aspect ratio…which will be 1’ away from the front wall to accommodate behind the screen speakers.
What you see is a pair of old DIY bookshelf stands.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,230 Posts
The steel is just to support the screen frame and also to act as additional bracing to the prefab wall panels.
I am going for a 154” X 69” AT screen with 2.35:1 aspect ratio…which will be 1’ away from the back wall to accommodate behind the screen speakers.
What you see is a pair of old DIY bookshelf stands.
Good choices, but that big of a screen will need bright projector, what do you have planned?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts