AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone.

I am going to be making a home theater very soon but I am not going to start until I have everything planned.

The room is 22'X15'X8' and will have lot's of fabric and carpet. I personally like my movies very loud, and I am wondering if an onkyo 606, monitor 50 fronts, and r150 surrounds will suffice as far as loudness goes in that size room until I can upgrade.

Also I have the choice of getting an svs 20-39cs or a 16-46pc+ for the same price. Which one would be better for movies in this size room. And do you think the sub will fill the room enough?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
I personally like my movies very loud, and I am wondering if an onkyo 606, monitor 50 fronts, and r150 surrounds will suffice as far as loudness goes in that size room until I can upgrade.

Also I have the choice of getting an svs 20-39cs or a 16-46pc+ for the same price. Which one would be better for movies in this size room. And do you think the sub will fill the room enough?

My "really loud" would not be met by the equipment you listed. My custom HT room is almost the same size (25x14x8) .

#1 Those speakers are 89dBs so how do you get them to go really loud, I doubt they will even hit the higher SPL without distortion.

#2 The Onkyo 606 is a bargain AVR but it has no pre outs for an external amp and if you want "really loud" then you need an amp with 200W or more per channel.

#3 One sub is not really loud, Of course my point of reference might be an extreme one because I have 4 subs

Quote:
suffice....until I can upgrade.

Of course they will be okay until you upgrade.....

NOTE "really loud" is subjective, if you know your dynamic PEAK SPL needs are then its a pure numbers game and easy to figure out.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
For "really loud" I'd actually encourage you to go with the SVS 25-31. It doesn't go quite as deep, but it'll knock you on your arse! And the kicker is that it's actually less money

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15483179

My "really loud" would not be met by the equipment you listed. My custom HT room is almost the same size (25x14x8) .

#1 Those speakers are 89dBs so how do you get them to go really loud, I doubt they will even hit the higher SPL without distortion.

#2 The Onkyo 606 is a bargain AVR but it has no pre outs for an external amp and if you want "really loud" then you need an amp with 200W or more per channel.

#3 One sub is not really loud, Of course my point of reference might be an extreme one because I have 4 subs

Of course they will be okay until you upgrade.....

NOTE "really loud" is subjective, if you know your dynamic PEAK SPL needs are then its a pure numbers game and easy to figure out.

Alright, thanks for the answer.

I am willing to go up to the r50's, I can't find the dbs they are rated to, but will those fill it fairly well. Also what speakers would match those for surrounds.

And about the receiver, are there any better ones that cost less than 500-600?

Thank you.

Edit: actually after researching the r50's, I think I would be able to go higher. Any recommendations?

Edit-again: I have found some cheap refurb rti a5's, would those cut it, I have read good things about them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts