AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So i'm looking to build a home theater in dedicated room.

I have currently a panasonic PT-AE900U projector, a Yamaha HTR-5850 A/V receiver and a Klipsch Quintet II + Synergy Sub 10 5.1 speaker system.

To reduce cable mess and ensure highest quality of audio and video, i'd like to have everything using HDMI. So my first upgrade would be to buy a new receiver. I'd like to plug in a PC (HDMI w/ sound), an XBox 360, a PS3 and possibly TW HD Cable.

My Yamaha receiver not supporting HDMI inputs, i've been looking at new receivers. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha V1800, as it seems to support all core features and is reasonably priced. I have no interest in multi room, media streamers and things like that. I just want full HDMI support, upscaling/upconverting, and full audio format support.

Also the V1800 is carried at Best Buy, which is conveniently located close to my home, in case something goes wrong i could drop it there for repairs.

I've been other looking at the sony STR-DA4300ES, but it features less HDMI inputs, and is not as easy to find, and would be less convenient for support.

The PT-AE900U projector is however limited to 1080i, would that be a problem? Can i set the receiver to limit the ouput? or should each connected component limit it's output?

I'd be eventually upgrading to a 1080p PT-AE2000U when my lamp dies, and hopefully price will have come down a little by then.

I'm not currently planning to change my speaker system, but since i'll be doing all the cabling, i'm wondering if i should buy additional speakers and eventually cable a 6.1 or 7.1 sound system. What do you guys think? would it be worth it?

Thanks,

-Laurent

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm not that familiar with that Yamaha receiver, but from what I understand, generally speaking... for video, HDMI in = HDMI out. Basically, what goes in is what goes out, so the receiver should not alter or affect the input in any way.

Also, the Yamaha website (just look up the V1800) has the manual in PDF form, this is a great way to research a possible purchase.

For the speakers, might as well at least cable for the extra speakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts