AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's about time I start doing some research on home theater again. Per usual, AVSforum is my stop for home theater research.

We've recently moved into a rental and are building a home. I've got a dedicated room for my home theater gear. As of now it's drawn up at 14x18x9, which means the interior dimensions will be 13'8x17'8x9. I'll finally have a space to let my Dynaudio speakers breathe a little, our previous room was a bit too narrow at 10ft6. So my wife had furniture in front of the speakers. This will give us considerably more room.

Right now my intention is to wire all four corners of the room for a possible sub since it'll be hard to know where the best placement will actually be.

Ideally, I think I'd like to run two subs instead of one, but am absolutely open to considering running one sub if that's optimal.

It'll be used for about 50/50 music vs movies which is part of the reason for running two subs. I can run smaller drivers, keep the bass nice and tight for music and still have headroom for movies (please if I'm thinking about this wrong let me know, that's why I'm posting here).

Right now I'm leaning towards something in the 12 or 15 inch range. On the fence with ported vs sealed for obvious reasons. At this point I could spend UP TO $3,000. Now I know how this **** usually works, I tell you I have a $3000 budget and you tell me if I spend just $500 more I get XYZ. While I'd certainly look at what you have to say in that regard, I'd ideally like to stay in the $2500 range or less. So let's try to play within budget, that should be a good budget to get me something legitimate and that will satisfy my need for big bass.

I'm replacing a PB12 NSD that I purchased back in 2007 and it's been a good sub. SVSound has really good customer service and that doesn't seem to have changed in the 13 years since I bought my gear. However, this market is constantly changing, a good friend of mine has a Rythmik that he bought a year ago and it's pretty damn impressive. It's a sealed box 15 inch driver and we use it for music when I'm over there, so I'm not sure what it sounds like on movies. Most of these are hard to try in home without unpacking, repacking, shipping back etc, it's a royal pain but doable. I'd rather do my research, hopefully be able to get it done on the first try and be happy.

I've got some time to figure this out as well as we'll begin the build in just a couple weeks. But I'm a big time researcher and want time to put together a plan on subs, TVs, etc.

Any thoughts, help, comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
A pair of HSU VTF-15H Mk2 subs is a pretty compelling bass option that'll come in under budget. 2 of them should be quite ample output in that size room.

Corners may or may not be good spots for the subs; though generally speaking, opposite corners tend to work pretty well as long as you're not seated in a room null.

REW, and a Umik-1 will tell the tale there... I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest a MiniDSP2x4HD also, so you can EQ the bass to be as good as you can get with 2 subs; adding the miniDSP will just take you over the top on the desired $2500 budget, but I can assure you, the difference in bass after EQ is hard to put a $ value on, it's so much better when you can flatten out the response...

**edit**
Multiple subs aren't better for music than a single... other than 2 subs will play with lower distortion than a single sub of same design.
The benefits of multiple subs are: lower distortion, more output, and more even response in room.
I'm a big fan of multiple subs. I run 4 in a 2350cu ft room.

·
Premium Member
10,607 Posts
6SpeedTA95 said:
... I've got a dedicated room for my home theater gear. ... interior dimensions will be 13'8x17'8x9. ...

Ideally, I think I'd like to run two subs instead of one ...

It'll be used for about 50/50 music vs movies ...

... I'd ideally like to stay in the $2500 range or less. So let's try to play within budget, that should be a good budget to get me something legitimate and that will satisfy my need for big bass. ...
Monoprice Monolith 15" THX Ultra Certified ($2,400/pr., shipped) - well-rated, powerful, tune-able, THX Ultra Certified for low distortion.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Well it's about time I start doing some research on home theater again. Per usual, AVSforum is my stop for home theater research.

We've recently moved into a rental and are building a home. I've got a dedicated room for my home theater gear. As of now it's drawn up at 14x18x9, which means the interior dimensions will be 13'8x17'8x9. I'll finally have a space to let my Dynaudio speakers breathe a little, our previous room was a bit too narrow at 10ft6. So my wife had furniture in front of the speakers. This will give us considerably more room.

Right now my intention is to wire all four corners of the room for a possible sub since it'll be hard to know where the best placement will actually be.

Ideally, I think I'd like to run two subs instead of one, but am absolutely open to considering running one sub if that's optimal.

It'll be used for about 50/50 music vs movies which is part of the reason for running two subs. I can run smaller drivers, keep the bass nice and tight for music and still have headroom for movies (please if I'm thinking about this wrong let me know, that's why I'm posting here).

Right now I'm leaning towards something in the 12 or 15 inch range. On the fence with ported vs sealed for obvious reasons. At this point I could spend UP TO $3,000. Now I know how this **** usually works, I tell you I have a $3000 budget and you tell me if I spend just $500 more I get XYZ. While I'd certainly look at what you have to say in that regard, I'd ideally like to stay in the $2500 range or less. So let's try to play within budget, that should be a good budget to get me something legitimate and that will satisfy my need for big bass.

I'm replacing a PB12 NSD that I purchased back in 2007 and it's been a good sub. SVSound has really good customer service and that doesn't seem to have changed in the 13 years since I bought my gear. However, this market is constantly changing, a good friend of mine has a Rythmik that he bought a year ago and it's pretty damn impressive. It's a sealed box 15 inch driver and we use it for music when I'm over there, so I'm not sure what it sounds like on movies. Most of these are hard to try in home without unpacking, repacking, shipping back etc, it's a royal pain but doable. I'd rather do my research, hopefully be able to get it done on the first try and be happy.

I've got some time to figure this out as well as we'll begin the build in just a couple weeks. But I'm a big time researcher and want time to put together a plan on subs, TVs, etc.

I'd say two HSU ULF15-MK2s

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

Instead of placing 4 drops for sub, you can explore using Emotiva wireless sub connector. I have not used it but have heard good thing about it. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
923 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
6SpeedTA95 said:
... I've got a dedicated room for my home theater gear. ... interior dimensions will be 13'8x17'8x9. ...

Ideally, I think I'd like to run two subs instead of one ...

It'll be used for about 50/50 music vs movies ...

... I'd ideally like to stay in the $2500 range or less. So let's try to play within budget, that should be a good budget to get me something legitimate and that will satisfy my need for big bass. ...
Monoprice Monolith 15" THX Ultra Certified ($2,400/pr., shipped) - well-rated, powerful, tune-able, THX Ultra Certified for low distortion.
My vote also goes for two ported Monolith 15".

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Instead of placing 4 drops for sub, you can explore using Emotiva wireless sub connector. I have not used it but have heard good thing about it. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I did not know such a thing existed, I will need to find a few reviews and see if sound quality is good and make sure it doesn't have a ton of delay. Looking at the specs now, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I did not know such a thing existed, I will need to find a few reviews and see if sound quality is good and make sure it doesn't have a ton of delay. Looking at the specs now, thanks for the tip!
There are other wireless systems by RSL, SVS, Dayton Audio. Not familiar with the Emotiva system but it looks good as well.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
If you can pre-wire then do it. Hard wired is hassle free. Wireless, not always.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts