AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I currently have a PCH A110 in my home theater room, the pch uses a combination of yamj and nmt server to display my media library. I'm very happy with the look and the amount of information that those forntends provide for me, However i would like a little more speed/responsiveness when browsing through my media library (12TB and growing by the day). This is where the HTPC comes in.

I would like my htpc to be keyboard free. i would like to control everything with with a remote as you would a set-top networked media player. i tried out XBMCLive and wasn't totally impressed with it (maybe the liunx version is better?), as i had problems updating it via sudo, and some of the skins seemed interlaced on my monitor. My question is, is there a front end out there that will do what i want?

here are some screen shots of my current gui on my PCH.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
769 Posts
No offense, but search the forum as this topic is literally discussed every day practically.

On the HTPC front there are several options that can provide what you are looking for each with various pros/cons depending on what functionality you need.

To list a few briefly for you to look up: XBMC, Media Portal, W7 + Media Browser, W7 + My Movies (doesn't currently support TV series I believe but I could be wrong).

Personally I'm partial to W7 + Media Browser (it can do definitely provide the interface you are used to on the pch and better imo), but all are generally good.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 /forum/post/18262505

Oh brother...that's your opinion.

He's right and that's what the OP is looking for, opinions.

I'd like to hear what you recommend.

·
Banned
350 Posts
For a HTPC W7 is way ahead of the competition. As for frontend the easiest to configure and use, and probably the most popular here is WMC + Media Browser. If you want something with more bell and whistle than you can also try Media Portal or if you are the adventurous/tech type you can try XBMC. Once well configured XBMC is one of the best but it does need a bit more work than the other.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Win 7

the SSD's and newest hard drives are setup to use "Advanced Format: The 4K Sectors" which Vista (yeech) and Win 7 natively support.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can also recommend windows, although I still stick to XP for my own system because there is a lot of information available on how to tweak it.

When I started to built my own system I started with Linux but it's just too complicated and software quality is doubtful.

Soitjes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've just been trying out Mediaportal (on Win7) and Win7 MC. I found the network performance of Win7 MC poor (I have most of my media on network shares). It took more than 24 hours to scan my music library 0f 74,000 tracks (compared to

Win7 MC is visually more appealing, but I found Mediaportal more intuitive to use with a remote control.

Just one man's opinion...

·
Registered
4,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm2 /forum/post/18264858

I've just been trying out Mediaportal (on Win7) and Win7 MC. I found the network performance of Win7 MC poor (I have most of my media on network shares). It took more than 24 hours to scan my music library 0f 74,000 tracks (compared to

Win7 MC is visually more appealing, but I found Mediaportal more intuitive to use with a remote control.

Just one man's opinion...

Laggy network performance in Windows 7?? Something's wrong with your network setup then. (In my opinion..
). Windows 7 has the best network performance to date, compared to ANY Windows version.

This is while stress testing the network performance:

Nothing exotic, typical, onboard Realtek gigabit NIC.

Real world file transfer performance:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm assuming that my network setup is fine, as Mediaportal's general network access is very quick, and Windows access to file shares is also quick - it's just the Media Centre app that seems to have a problem

·
Registered
4,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itm2 /forum/post/18265106

I'm assuming that my network setup is fine, as Mediaportal's general network access is very quick, and Windows access to file shares is also quick - it's just the Media Centre app that seems to have a problem

Nope, something's still funky. WMC is lickety split fast (for the most part). My music library has close to 50,000 tracks as well, and when I add them to WMC initially, takes about 25-30 minutes for it to scan and build the metadata. My DVD library has close to 700 movies, and it scans and loads it in ~ 20 seconds, my recorded TV library has over 4000 HD shows in it, and that thing loads even faster than the DVD library.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could it be that it's because my media is on shares attached to a Windows 2003 server machine? (i.e. not on a Windows 7 machine).

I don't understand why Mediaportal can access the shares so quickly while Win7 Media Centre can't.

???

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
All my stuff is on my server and nothing local but recorded tv. It takes a while to access the data but even on the local machine when I open my music folder it takes about 20 seconds to read the folder. You dont want to know how many files are in it. Thats on a very fast hardware array. The number of files can impact speeds but its the sheer number of files. Win 7 is the fastest thing that can access them besides maybe linux.

I dont know why one could do it faster than the other. That doesnt really make sense unless either of them use a cache and if so you would have to build that cache locally and then rerun the test to see how that impacted things.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/18265192

Nope, something's still funky. WMC is lickety split fast (for the most part). My music library has close to 50,000 tracks as well, and when I add them to WMC initially, takes about 25-30 minutes for it to scan and build the metadata. My DVD library has close to 700 movies, and it scans and loads it in ~ 20 seconds, my recorded TV library has over 4000 HD shows in it, and that thing loads even faster than the DVD library.

4000 HD shows? Will you ever be able to watch that much TV?

·
Registered
4,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/18265736

4000 HD shows? Will you ever be able to watch that much TV?

lol...nah...different purposes...related to my business. Lots of video processing/slicing/dicing.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/18265192

and you only have 12tb???

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
The "actual" server.....

Edit: even THIS is an old pic. Since then I have added another disk chassis with 12 slots. Total of 48 slots now.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ubuntu+XBMC. Super easy to get working and a great interface, IMO.

Best of all, the hardware requirements are minimal. An Atom board with an ION chipset is plenty to make it go, although I stuck a C2D in there anyway, just because it wasn't much more money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts