AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I built a budget HTPC for the master bedroom and I have 99% of the parts and now all I need is a sound card.

Here is the system:

Black Desktop case w/300watt PS $75

Epox 8K7A+ w/RAID $59

1GHz T-Bird $70

Thermalright AX-7 HSF w/quiet 2K RPM fan $30

Seagate 80GB HD $95

ATI AIW 128 $45

256MB Micron DDR $40

8X Region Free DVDROM $20

As you can see from the prices I have paid I don't want to add a $200 sound card since it will be a waste for this rig.

I want a card with either a coax or Toslink digital output and I want the card to be cheap in price, but not sound quality.

This computer will be used for Video Capture, MP3's, MAME and DVD movies. I am planning on using Power DVD XP, Winamp and ZoomPlayer for various media.

I am considering the Zoltrix Nightengale Pro 6 and have a few questions!

Is it a good card for about $50? Are there better options in this price range that offer digital outputs?

Will it be compatable with the other components I have and the software I will use?

The Epox mobo has an AMD 761 Northbridge and a Via VT82C686B Southbridge. Any compatibility issues with the VIA chipset and the Zoltrix card?

Thanks for any help:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I know the thread title is a bit off, sorry about that, all I want to know is:

1. Is this a decent card for the money? Your experiences?

2. Will it have any compatibility issues with the hardware and software I plan to use?

3. Is there a better card for around the $50 range that offers digital outputs?

I just want a cheap reliable card for a secondary HT!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Many people here are quite happy with that card. I was going to suggest it myself until I saw you had already settled on it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was hoping more people had this card so I could get some opinions and make sure I am not going to have compatibility issues.

I guess I will give it a shot unless someone tells me how crappy the card is:)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If you don't mind using Win98 (not WinXP or Win2K compatible), the Aureal Vortex SQ1500 is dirt cheap at $10 or less with SPDIF (coaxial) output.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I can second Hueys' reccomendation for the SQ1500, and confirm that it works fine with Win ME as well.

Gary.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a good option! I can use Win 98SE instead if needed. Does it not work well with XP?

I may give it a try first since it is only $10!

Any idea where I can find one in stock?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help:)

I ordered the SQ1500 for $8 yesterday!

I figured for $8 if it doesn't work good, I could sell it cheap and get a Zoltrix instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.