AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to HTPC's, and I've been trying to research this, but there is so much information, it seems overwhelming at times as they are built on a case by case basis..

Here is what I want to do:

1) I would like to build a central media server to store/rip DVD's, Blu-Rays, music, etc.

2) I would like to be able to record shows/movies from the TV.

3) I would like to be able to access this content from 2-3 TV's and PC's on the network.

How would I go about doing this, and what would be the most cost efficient (I'm looking to spend

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response, I have looked into the SageTV and it looks like it will do everything I need it to.

I am a little confused on the TV recording though...does the HD300 attach to the Comcast DVR box, and then you can take the recorded shows and store them on your computer?

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Yes. You connect the output of the cable/sat box into the HDPVR 1212 which runs attached to a pc that is running sagetv media center software (your server pc.)

Sage tells the cable box what channel to turn to then tells the 1212 to record its output to disc.

Then you have an HD300 at each TV (that doesn't already have the server pc or a client pc.) The HD300 "tells" the server what you want to record and accesses the recorded content, etc.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You can also do a Windows Media Center PC and use a Xbox360 at each TV. Probably not as good as Sage but there really aren't many options for having a central recording server that is seamlessly accessable and controllable (as in TV recordings can be scheduled) from remote locations.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel93gt /forum/post/19544699

Oh ok...

So if I have a Comcast digital cable box (no DVR) and I want to record TV (with the HD300 extender), and store it to a computer, I would need this as well?:

http://store.sagetv.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=HD

FYI, you should be able to find the HDPVR cheaper from other sources.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts