AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am biting the bullet and adding an addition to my home. Two rooms, a studio and a home theater. What would you guys think would be the largest screen that can be used with a BD808 projector? Room is not an issue as the HT will be 18' X 24'. The room is 100% light controlled. My goal is to make the screen as close as possible to the field of view of a screen at a real theater. Is this possible? I think from where I generally like to sit when at the movies that the FOV is about 30 degrees. Does this sound right? Of course, I also wish to keep the screen area down to a point where image quality is not compromised. What do you CRT pros think?

Charles

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would try to stay at or below a 110 diagonal 16:9 screen to keep from loosing image quality. 100 in diagonal or less is even better quality wise.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
1. Theatrical subtended fields of vision are not unreasonable with a CRT projector.

2. The last row in a THX certified theater should have a subtended field of vision no les than 36 degrees on scope movies. This is about equal to the 1.5 screen width seating distance rule. On a 16:9 screen IMHO it is not a bad compromise although I'd go wider on a higher aspect screen. Some people run 2.0:1, some people use 2.35:1.

3. A lot of us feel that CRT projector light output limits us to flat screens arround 8' wide with 1.3-1.5 gain; so the immersion must come from sitting closer or a higher gain curved screens. Vern Dias has a 12' wide 1.0 gain 2.35:1 screen that he's very happy with. Other people run large screens with higher gain fabric (Stewart has a 1.8 and 2.0 gain surfaces, and there's the new Silverstar at 6?). This is probably something you need to figure out for yourself.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Go bigger unless you want to watch movies with the lights on. ;)

I threw onto a 133" diag 16:9 with a BG800 with great results. I'm in the process of replacing the 800 with a BG808. With the additional capabilities of the EM focus on the 808, I'm sure I'm going to be blown away when I hang my new projector.

I'm using a Draper screen with the MD2500 material and never had any complaint with the picture quality and you really have to know what you are looking for in order to notice any color shift and/or hotspotting.

Screen size is a very subjective thing, but it is still the one thing CRT has over d******, you can go much bigger and still have a great picture.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey Charles, where abouts in the Pac Northwest are you? I'm in Monroe.....

Drew

·
Registered
4,801 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys! This is really quite helpful. It will also help me to determine how large the HT should be. I've been playin' around with ACad LT today ,sliding the wall that seperates the two rooms back and forth. This info gives me some insight as to just how far back the last row of seats should be. I'm currently using an 80" wide 4:3 1.0 screen with the brightness set at 50 and the contrast at 68. This is in the living room where the light control is not ideal.

> Drew Packard, I live in Oly.

Thanks again!

Charles

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I just recently built my home theater 12'x20'. One of the things I noticed is room dimentions only matter at certain intervals.

For example room depth. Start with a 8' wide screen, this means you want your front row no closer than about 10' (at head location) or they are too close to picture. Now, you will need 6' for each row if you have reclining seats. This gave me 2 rows with a 4' hall behind back row to get to door at back of theater. You can see what I mean. I would have needed another 6 feet in order to keep a third row 4' from back speakers. So 20' was perfect for 2 rows, and I would have needed 26' for 3 rows. Then you have to consider risers. My drop ceiling is 8'. My 2nd row is on a 8" riser, and if I had a third row, it would have been on a 16" riser and too close to ceiling. (You have to consider everything you can).

Now width of theater. I had only 12 feet, this gave me a 7'wide couch offcenter in room with a 3' hall down right side (electronics and DVD/CD storage were built into wall along this side too). Leaving 2 feet on opposing side to keep left seat from getting too close to left side speaker.

I would have preferred another 2 feet wide to appropriately center position of seats but I did not have that ability. Now You need to decide how many seats across you wish (know how wide each seat and any necessary spacing between them) Then consider a hallway (usually down side in these smallish theaters since the seating should not be next to side speakers anyway) either on one or both sides. Decide if speakers are inwall or not and deal with those space constraints.

Obviously, other people would have done things slightly differently with different numbers, but these considerations must be considered PRIOR to picking you dimensions if you have that luxury.

Chris.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drew Eckhardt
1. Theatrical subtended fields of vision are not unreasonable with a CRT projector.

2. The last row in a THX certified theater should have a subtended field of vision no les than 36 degrees on scope movies. This is about equal to the 1.5 screen width seating distance rule. On a 16:9 screen IMHO it is not a bad compromise although I'd go wider on a higher aspect screen. Some people run 2.0:1, some people use 2.35:1.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 36 degrees (1.5 x width) is the IDEAL recommended by THX, while 26 degrees is the minimum for the back row.

- Cryo

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Have you thought of hiring Dennis Erskine to design your theater. His DIY designs are very reasonable. Since you are adding an addition, it would probably be worth it. You'll find him in the home theater builder forum here. www.designcinema.com

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cryofax
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 36 degrees (1.5 x width) is the IDEAL recommended by THX, while 26 degrees is the minimum for the back row.

- Cryo
Right. THX won't certify your theater if it's less than 26, and their documentation recommends 36. The idea is that this is for the _last row_ where most of us don't sit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The comments and insight of you guys has been very helpful. Attached is a rough first draft. So what do you think? I have chosen a contractor and should break ground next week. He will be doing the foundation, framing and sheeting while I will take care of the roofing, inner walls, sheetrock, electrical and finish work.

Fireball, Thanks for the link. I took a look over there. Those HT's look awesome! I'm afraid though that for me to purchase just the accessories that are shown there would use up my entire HT budget. What I am going to do will have to be a bit more basic. No mucho dinero!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Umm..I forgot the attachment
(And it took me four attempts to get the forum to except it for various reasons)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Its completely a taste thing but I prefer to be farther back, about 2x screen width. My front seats are at 1.5x and I usually prefer to sit in the back row.

I'm running an 8" Marquee on a 1.5-1.6 gain screen at 90" wide and it's plenty bright. I was running 96" wide before and found it to be too big for the room. It was still nice and bright, its just that DVD is too soft when that close. HDTV is better but then I see scan lines really badly at 1080i.

IMHO your screen is way to big for that room. My screen is 7.5 feet wide with seating in the same position as yours above and I still find the front seat too close. Of course, this is just me. I think that whatever floats your boat is what's right, period.

In case you're wondering, my system is pretty sharp. I'm running DVD at 1280x720 @72 Hz with visible scan lines even in the corners from the front seating position. I'm using a HTPC running a Radeon / TT/ffdshow combination. HDTV @ 1080i via BEV6000.

My 2 cents

Oh ya, I always sit in the very back row at the theatre....

Wes

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You really need to play with your toys and see what works for you with your equipment. I find that 11' from an 87" wide 16:9 screen is about perfect for movies

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Prometheusbound
Umm..I forgot the attachment :D (And it took me four attempts to get the forum to except it for various reasons):eek:
Wow that will be close for the front row (

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think your right. It is too close. The screen I have setup now in the living room is an 80" screen. I moved the couch forward last night so I was at a 1.5 seating position. Although this was too close to the screen for comfortable viewing I did like the perceived size of the screen. I thought it was amazing at how much more detail I could see at 10' from the screen as opposed to 18' from the screen. I think I will steal another foot from the other room, move the rear couch to the back and move the front couch back to around 15' from the screen. I will still go with a 10' screen. The reason being it is far easier to make the screen smaller than larger. I can always close the curtains and use upper and lower baffles (or whatever they are called) to make the screen smaller.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Prometheusbound,

The size of your room is very similar to mine. My way of thinking is for HD you set in the first or second row. For DVD's the 2nd and 3rd row. Kids however love the first row for any source. 10' wide screen is pretty big for a CRT but not outrageous. When I win the lottery I will take Tim up on the Twin CRT blending system, to me that seems like the best of both worlds.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.