AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

I've been reading around and am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to set up in ceiling speakers.  Here is what I want to do:

-3 zones

-Control and turn on the system from my iphone 

-Stream music from my iphone

-All speakers will be hard wired to one location in the great room

I don't care about being able to play different music from different sources in each zone.  I just want to be able to play the music on my iphone, and select what zones I want it playing in.  Whether it is one, two or three at the same time.

What is the most cost effective way to do this? Sonos? NuVo? Something else? 

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Simplest is a NuVo P3100. Or (3) Sonos Connect:Amp units. Can be done cheaper, but not with iPhone zone controls and still be simple to use...

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antney79  /t/1525730/building-a-new-house-in-ceiling-speaker-control#post_24566459

only audio control by iphone/ipad is Sonos then?

No, the NuVo P3100 unit will also do it. There are cheaper ways to assemble a solution, but you won't get the convenience you're looking for... A single Sonos Connect:Amp (or NuVo P200) and a speaker selector would get you a start - you'd just have to make your room adjustments / on / off from the selector, not your mobile device.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Can I run more than 1 pair of speakers per channel with the P3100?  What if I wanted to run 4 per channel for two of the channels?  So 10 speakers total.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootorama  /t/1525730/building-a-new-house-in-ceiling-speaker-control#post_24572053

Can I run more than 1 pair of speakers per channel with the P3100?  What if I wanted to run 4 per channel for two of the channels?  So 10 speakers total.

The amp is not 4-ohm rated, so to connect more than one pair you'll need an impedance-matching device (typically a simple speaker selector). So for your configuration you'd need two of those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

What about running Sonos amps?  I want to be able to control everything from my phone in one app, and not have a separate speaker selector.  Would three Sonos amps also do the trick?  I think they are 4ohm so I could run 4 speakers a channel.  Correct?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootorama  /t/1525730/building-a-new-house-in-ceiling-speaker-control#post_24578625

What about running Sonos amps?  I want to be able to control everything from my phone in one app, and not have a separate speaker selector.  Would three Sonos amps also do the trick?  I think they are 4ohm so I could run 4 speakers a channel.  Correct?

The speaker selector would be there JUST to provide the impedance matching - you'd never touch it after install. Just think of it as the way to connect 2 pairs of speakers to one amp. The Sonos amps are 4-ohm stable, so you don't need that extra little bit of gear, but the end result is the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok I just did some quick reading on them.  So I would need two - 4 speaker, speaker selectors?  Can you recommend ones that would work well in this application? Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootorama  /t/1525730/building-a-new-house-in-ceiling-speaker-control#post_24578844

Ok I just did some quick reading on them.  So I would need two - 4 speaker, speaker selectors?  Can you recommend ones that would work well in this application? Thanks again!

You could use (2) 2-pair selectors, or you could use one 4-pair selector, but using two of them gives you better flexibility as you're splitting the zones up. As for brands / models - for what you're trying to accomplish any model would do fine.

Since this is the cheapest one I could find, and it's also a 4-pair selector, you could start with one of these, and add another one later if you want more flexibility:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=9995&seq=1&format=2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts