AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm going to be building a new house and need to plan things out. The attached image is a quick markup of the floor plan showing reference angles of 30, 110, and 150 respectively. I'm not sure if these are the ideal angles to go with. Suggestions on that are also appreciated as I can put the speakers where they need to be within reason. My current room uses 7.2 floor standing speakers but or the new one to be wise approved I'm afraid I'm going to need to ceiling mount them in the rear and surround. I will still have my front towers, large center, and two 15" subs in the front. That is non negotiable... I'm probably going to use this as a good excuse to pick up the Sierra Towers, Horizon Center, and Rythmic 15's to replace my tired Infinity Interlude and Velodyne combo.

Okay, back to the problem at hand. What should I do for rear and surround speakers in the new place? I really like monopoles for gaming. Diffuse sound doesn't help you determine where your enemy is. I'm looking for ideas on sexy wife approved speakers I can mount on the ceiling on omni directional mounts which will give good performance. I want good sound. I'd rather mount something a little larger for excellent sound than a tiny satellite which looks great but sucks. With that said, if there are attractive speakers that product excellent sound, that's going to help me sell this to the wife most effectively. I've never used ceiling mounted speakers and am not looking forward to this. However, I get that I can't have my beasts sitting in the middle of the floor either. The basics of the plan are below. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I forgot one other option. If I was going with 5.1 then I could probably put a couple larger speakers at ceiling height against the wall. If I did that I might be able to convince my wife to let me go with some larger speakers like Sierra-1's. I'd still need to be able to direct them toward the listening area. You can see the 110 degree angle intersects with one corner and one wall by the pantry. That would mean wall mounts and not ceiling mounts. I'm also okay with that. What would you guys do? 7.1 smaller speakers ceiling mounted or larger speakers wall mounted? Unfortunately, I think I'll be stuck mounting them high no matter what due to my wife's desire to keep the line of sight in the room clean.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
If you chose 7.1 the back surrounds would be suspended from the ceiling above the kitchen and dining room? Or do you mean high up along the back wall?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question. I should have continued those lines. I put them in there so you could see the angles. The speakers can really go anywhere along those lines. If the speakers were small satellites (which I admit I don't like very much) I could probably put them closer and attach them to the ceiling which would be in the kitchen and dining room spaces.

Any nice larger speaker would have to be high up along the walls. If I did go 7.1 I would probably mount something nicer like the CBM-170 SE's or HTM-200 SE's at about 7.5 feet up angled down toward the listening position. I've never used this approach before so I really don't know what to expect. I'm used to surrounding myself with floor standing speakers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to post a revised image with the angles extended to the walls. I'm curious what the ideal angles are.

R&L = 22 to 30 degrees (average = 26)

SR&SL = 90 to 110 degrees (average = 100)

SBR&SBL = 135 to 150 (average = 142.5)

I did a number of searches and all I could find was these recommended ranges. While I realize it probably doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference there must be an ideal angle for these speakers.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Looks like you're on the right track so far, and a drawing with approximate surround speaker distances will help. I wouldn't be overly concerned with precise angles since you're dealing with WAF and other room variables, although I understand the challenges involved with wall and/or ceiling mounting surround speakers. I'm using the same front three speakers and subs that you're considering and regularly adjust their placement to where they sound best.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Holt,

Here's a drawing assuming a 7.3' (thx) sitting distance from a 65" plasma TV. If I went with a 100 degree angle for the surrounds I might be able to put on floor standing just next to the pantry door. 7.1 isn't possible with floor standers. What would you do? Should I push the envelope and try to put a floor standing speaker against the wall in that small space between the stairs and pantry door? The other side wouldn't be an issue since there's a wall there. Or should I go for 7.1 mounted up higher?

·
Registered
30,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix333  /t/1471291/building-a-new-house-speaker-planning#post_23294819

Should I push the envelope and try to put a floor standing speaker against the wall in that small space between the stairs and pantry door? Or should I go for 7.1 mounted up higher?
I would do a combination: use a smaller speaker mounted higher up at the small space between the stairs and pantry door, with its counterpart mounted exactly opposite on the wall.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. After tinkering with the floor plan I have the image below. I think the surround speakers will be doable if I mount them up higher and angle them down. The last question I have is regarding the sub. Should I do one in the direct middle as pictured just below the TV? Notice there are large windows on either side. There is also the option of doing a sub behind the couch to the left. That's a longer wall. I think those are really my only two options. Or would you do a sub at each location? I plan to use a rythmic 15 so one sub is obviously the economical choice.

·
Registered
30,700 Posts
I would move the side speakers forward (e.g., right side speakers between the small wall between the pantry and stairs). When using 4 surround speakers, it is a waste of resources to have all 4 of them behind the listening position. You already a one pair behind you, the other pair would be better off at your sides (as close to 90 degrees as possible). This will give you better rear-vs-side separation in the surround field rather than having all the surround info come from behind you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. You said that in the post above and I missed it. Thanks for reiterating the recommendation and the reasoning. I see what you mean now. I can also move the couch back a bit to make that a true 90 degree angle. I'll clean up this sketch and see how it looks.

·
Registered
30,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix333  /t/1471291/building-a-new-house-speaker-planning#post_23357286

I can also move the couch back a bit to make that a true 90 degree angle.
Wow, that would be optimal. I don't think you'll have to move the couch back that much (maybe a foot or so?).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's how it looks. I have the fronts at 30 degrees, sides at 90 degrees, and surrounds at 150 degrees. I will build an entertainment unit for the tv to sit about 15" off the wall and put the sub below centered on the seating position. This is a good improvement too cause now I have room for my amps and htpc all in one area. This gives the thx recommended seating distance for a 65" tv, which I plan to use. The walkway behind the couch and the breakfast bar is still 4 feet, so that's good. I really like it. I think that change improves the room overall. What do you think?

·
Registered
30,700 Posts
Looks fantastic! Should give your clear left-vs-right-vs-back directionality in the surround field. Plus, with the rear speakers spread well apart, you'll easily hear stereo separation behind you (where our human hearing isn't so good).

If you have the Blu-ray of 'Transformers 3' the entire opening chapter is an excellent demo of surround directionality.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice Sanjay, I really appreciate it. btw, you also helped me with the configuration I'm using in the house I'm renting now. Excellent advice. All my friends rave about how things sound. I can't wait to try this setup in my new house. Thanks again!

·
Registered
30,700 Posts
Yup, I remember that, right before Thanksgiving. Glad you're enjoying the results. Don't forget to use the same toe-in technique we discussed in that thread (aiming the speaker at the opposite listener) when setting up this new room. Speaking of which, what speakers did you end up getting?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, I'll do the toe in. I haven't gotten the speakers yet since I'm going to get a new place. I know what I will get though. Sierra Towers and Sierra Horizon (probably RAAL) with the CBM170SE for sides and surround. The sizes of the speakers in the drawing actually represent these speakers so this is exactly how it will look. I think one Rythmic 15 in front will work. If it's weak I'll put one behind the couch on the wall as well. I'm still running my old infinity interlude set right now. 4 IL 40's, 2 IL 10's, IL36C, 2 Velodyne VA-1012X11 Subs, and 7 Outlaw 2200 amps (that was an impulse purchase, lol). The speakers have been babied so they still sound good after all these years. But I'm ready for a step up once this house gets built.

·
Registered
30,700 Posts
Being driving distance from Ascend, I've had some extended listens to the RAAL tweeter. Unbelieveable detail AND less trebly sounding than the NrT tweeters. Holt7153, who posted earlier in this thread, has the same Sierra Towers + Horizon combo you're considering. The few times I've heard them at his place they never failed to impress (it helps that placement, toe-in and level adjustment were very carefully dialed in). Hopefully he'll chime in with his experience with the combo.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm very happy with the Tower/Horizon combo. I thought it would be good for HT and even better with music, but it really shines in both areas. The RAAL can sound stunning at times with things like acoustic guitar yet still handle the dynamics of action movies effortlessly. Adding either the 170s or 200s for surrounds should round out a very nice sounding system. I'm using Rythmik subs as well--I assume you're aware of the combo discount available?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't heard the setup yet but I plan to stop by on my next drive through LA, probably in July. What would you guys do, 170 vs 200? I will probably use something like the omnimount ascend sells. Any better mounts out there? I also wonder if I can get the right downward angle on that mount. It says 90 degrees. The closest speaker would require a downward angle of about 40 degrees. sounds like it would work fine. I assume the 170 does fine with the roughly 3" clearance one of these omnimounts gives. Is there a better solution for mounting either the 170 or 200?

The bundle deal is pretty sweet and I do intend to take full advantage of it. Thanks for the heads up on that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts