AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my friend recommended avsforum and I've been reading and am just blown away by the depth and breadth of knowledge here!

I'm building a place and it will have a basement. The theater area of this basement will be 15'6" x 19' , and will have 10' 6" high ceilings towards the center, and 9'6" tall ceilings along the wall.

I really don't know much about AV equipment and what I should do with this space. I don't know if I should just get a big LCD/plasma for this space (65-70") or if I should get a HD projector. I will also have my PS3 hooked up here so I want to make sure that if I do a HD projector, it can handle the PS3.

This basement will also have a pool table, bar, poker area, bedroom and bathroom, so it's not dedicated to just theater, and will also have a an open staircase going upstairs so it won't be soundproofed... if that affects anything.

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations with regards to TV/projector and perhaps audio equipment, I would be grateful! Budget is probably around $15k - but that is flexible. Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
you're going to fit a theater, pool table, bar, poker area, bedroom and bathroom in a 19' X 16' space?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The best thing you can do is research (I know, I'm a master of the obvious).

That's a good size space for your theater. Before you get too far along in these threads, do yourself a favor. Open your Word program and cut and paste the hell out of everything you may want to look at again. I am soooo pissed at myself for the ideas I had that kind of faded that could have been captured easily for viewing later.

It also pays dividends to plan a lot prior to throwing up lumber. Mistakes or ideas are so much easier to change on paper! You will still have changes along the way but the idea is to minimize the amount of them.

My basement plans sound very similar to yours....open space, bar, poker room, bedroom etc. Below is the link if you want to take a look and please feel free to ask questions on my thought process.

One question for you...is the 15k price include basement construction (ain't happening) or is that your theater budget? Also, once you play your PS3 on a 130" screen, you'll laugh at yourself for considering a 60" LCD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1216961

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hosejockey, thanks for the reply. haha, no the $15k is not for the basement construction, that's an entirely different budget. $15k is just a number I pulled outta my a$$ and would just be for that theater area, I know home theater's can cost up into the 6 figures, but I can't go that far.

Wow, really, so a PS3 looks great and is totally playable on a projected screen? How does a $1k projector look/work better than a $5k big screen TV? Not that I don't doubt it, but that's impressive if the projection can be bright and fast enough for gaming... that's pretty damn exciting! This basement will also have some natural lighting, do the projectors work ok in a semi-lit room?

I checked out your thread, that's an awesome space! My plans are still with the architects so building hasn't commenced yet. Thanks for the advice, I'll start collecting info for my Word doc.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by friver /forum/post/18187505

hosejockey, thanks for the reply. haha, no the $15k is not for the basement construction, that's an entirely different budget. $15k is just a number I pulled outta my a$$ and would just be for that theater area, I know home theater's can cost up into the 6 figures, but I can't go that far.

Wow, really, so a PS3 looks great and is totally playable on a projected screen? How does a $1k projector look/work better than a $5k big screen TV? Not that I don't doubt it, but that's impressive if the projection can be bright and fast enough for gaming... that's pretty damn exciting! This basement will also have some natural lighting, do the projectors work ok in a semi-lit room?

I checked out your thread, that's an awesome space! My plans are still with the architects so building hasn't commenced yet. Thanks for the advice, I'll start collecting info for my Word doc.

Im using a Mitsubishi hc1500 with my ps3 and I will never go back to a big screen tv. I paid $600 for my projector and the image is incredible (720p/1080i). 1080p projectors can be bought for under $2,000 very easily now, so I would look into that. I use mine for mostly gaming and the projector is fast enough for that easily. Once you have a projector a big screen tv will never be the same again.

A projector will work fine in a lit room as long as its not shining directly on the screen. I use one in my living room with an open sliding glass door and the image is still great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you have 15k to spend on your theater then certainly do your research here to get the most out of your money.

I have a 50" 1080p Plasma and love it. In my last house I also had a 100" screen with an Optoma H31 projector. The screen really was amazing. While the clarity was better in the 1080p plasma, the sheer size of a 100" screen simply sucks you into the game. Then add a sound system to bring it all together...simply amazing.

My new theater will have a 150" screen (approx.) and I can't wait to jump on that. But remember, screen size is all relevant to how far you sit from it. I was 14' from my 100" screen and will be about 20' from the 150" screen. I've settled on the Optoma HD20 1080p projector which can be had for just under $1000.

Gaming systems "totally playable" on a projected screen? Oh you wait. I'm not a big fan of ANY ambient light with it though, but you have to do what you have to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I measured the space and I'll be about 12 feet away from the screen. So probably something a bit smaller than a 100" screen would work out. I was thinking of going with the 16:9 type of screen.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Im using a 120" screen and my seats are 12-13 feet away. If you have the room go bigger. Im also using an acoustically transparent screen and my speakers are behind it so I didnt need the extra room on the sides. I never hear anyone say their screen is too big, so if you have the room go bigger. If you are talking about throw distance then at 12 feet you will be limited on screen size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm... Ok, maybe I will go bigger. I was trying to research ideal sizes for being seated 12 feet away, couldn't really find that but found sizes for throw distances - which I didn't understand, but now I know what throw distance means, and it looks like I need a throw distance of maybe 15 feet to be cool with a 100"+ screen. That's a good idea about the acoustically transparent screen, I'll look into that!! Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax /forum/post/18191170

I never hear anyone say their screen is too big, so if you have the room go bigger.

x2 - No one ever goes smaller.

I play my PS3 on a Sony VPL-VW60 and love it. My bulb was out for a few weeks and I had to play on my 50" DLP. It was fine...but nothing like 90+ inches.

As far as budget is concerned...I wish I had $15K for the theater. I did my entire basement remodel (including a bathroom), and purchased all my home theater equipment and furniture for that budget. You could have a kick ace system for that budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts