AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm building a new house and want to run my own RG6 and CAT6 cable. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should get said cable from? For my RG6, i want Quad-Shield and regarding the CAT6, i want solid coper cable.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Local electric supply house. Cheap, and don't pay shipping.

Get to know them - they'll come through for you in a pinch, down the road.

Check out Dan (electron)'s Cocoontech 101 new construction wiring guide
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...ds&showfile=64

Edit - I think you have to register to download, but it's really worth it. Good forum too, if you're running the wiring yourself. Lots of good tips.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
RG6 and CAT comes in a zillion flavors and differing qualities.

Depends what you need. You'll find run-of-the-mill stuff widely. If you need very high-performance cabling, you'll probably need to look deeper, order it online, etc, Belden etc.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Local electric supply stores are surprisingly cheap.

Do yourself a favor, and check them out.

You'll be helped at a counter, so have an idea of what you want.

It's a warehouse setup - you tell them what you want at the counter, they say 'what's that?', then you explain it, help him find it in the inventory (on his PC), and then you walk back with him into the warehouse, and pick out the item that's sitting on the shelf next to the item you're looking for.

Pretty routine. Most of the sales counter people are extremely helpful, in my experience. Special ordering is easy - they can get anything you want.

Quick tip - call some of the local electric supply houses and ask them what brands of cables they carry - then, look those brands up online. They'll have the exact specs available. Then, get exactly what you want. Or, ask the salesman for advice.

Pricing at local electric supply stores is comparable to online prices, without having to pay for shipping. Go on your way to work - they open early on weekdays (closed on weekends).

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Some builders won't let you run your own LV cables - they want to take a cut.

Make sure this is kosher with your builder, or he may rip out what you run.

Run your cables after the electrician and HVAC guy are done.

Install conduit where you may need to replace/add cables in the future, where it may be difficult.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/16851684

I strongly suggest use use nail plates wherever you run horizontally through studs. One misplaced sheetrock screw and you are screwed.

Also don't just run what you need today, plan for the future.

+1 on the plan for the future. If that is conduit runs or just extra cat 6 or whatever it is. I tried getting this done, but I wasn't in the state at the time and the guy at the local HT store brought out cabling that we hadn't discussed and not what we had discussed..... Moral of the story I should have had conduit for future runs installed and I would have been ok...

One other thing is to clearly note what you have where and what others are to do. My drywallers dry-walled over all the cable outs even the section that was supposed to be left open, the electrician took two boxes and used them for his outlets etc so communicate is the key.

Also think about what you are willing to spend for your media center area and make sure you wire that way. Are you willing to spend the money for the cat6 converter to HDMI options or would you want component cables there to use for the next couple of years etc

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Take photos or video of the installed cables, before the drywall goes up, so you can find them later.

Draw the layout of your house, and plan out your LV runs ahead of time.

Keep an electronic or hard copy of the house plans when it's done - wish I had that now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.