AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've put in an offer on a condo recently and it looks like I'll be moving into it in the next 2 months give or take.

Now I purchased a 65s1 and need to build a surround sound system with it. I was very happy with my polk audio system below but I probably don't have quite the same funds this time around I'd like to keep it under $2000 and preferably closer $1500-1700.

So what I have been leaning towards in a 16x9 living room is is a Onkyo TX-SR607 for head unit. I wanted this over a lower end model because of the upconversion on the component. Because of where my TV is at it would be VERY VERY nice not to have to run anything other then one HDMI cable.

For speakers I'm more or less leaning towards a SVS-SBS-01 system. It's a shame I didn't buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. The other option I'm thinking about is a Definitive setup. I have a buddy and I need to check the model but he paid 200 per speaker (bookshelf) and I have to say they sounded fantasic. Seem's like both would be comprable in price and from what I have read the SVS system should satisfy my needs.

I'm not an audiophile, I will be listening to some music on the ipod but that's about it. 90% of this is movie/tv watching.

So sound choices? Or am I missing another system in my price range?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Mike I guessing you haven't listened to the SVS-SBS-01 ? I'm also assuming you are favoring bookshelf's? If your looking to go after Definitive,you might want to look on audiogon if your ok with preowned? Have you gone to local stores and audition any speakers?

My suggestion would be to get your fronts and a good ID sub. You can use the speakers you have now to fill in the gap for now until you can replace them.

I think you can get a pretty good fronts and sub for your budget.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB /forum/post/18177352

Mike I guessing you haven't listened to the SVS-SBS-01 ? I'm also assuming you are favoring bookshelf's? If your looking to go after Definitive,you might want to look on audiogon if your ok with preowned? Have you gone to local stores and audition any speakers?

My suggestion would be to get your fronts and a good ID sub. You can use the speakers you have now to fill in the gap for now until you can replace them.

I think you can get a pretty good fronts and sub for your budget.

I've never heard the SVS no. I'm leaning towards just starting with a 3.1 system and putting the rears in later (not even sure how I'm going to do that since the couch is against the back wall).

I don't really have a preference to bookshelf or floorstanding either will work here.

Also one thing I should make clear I don't have the system in my signature. The ex got to keep the system and I got the big tv. So I'm looking to replace it with about the same quality not neccesarily upgrade.

I don't have the ear for something of higher quality then what I had previously.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 /forum/post/18177474

I've never heard the SVS no. I'm leaning towards just starting with a 3.1 system and putting the rears in later (not even sure how I'm going to do that since the couch is against the back wall).

I don't really have a preference to bookshelf or floorstanding either will work here.

Also one thing I should make clear I don't have the system in my signature. The ex got to keep the system and I got the big tv. So I'm looking to replace it with about the same quality not neccesarily upgrade.

I don't have the ear for something of higher quality then what I had previously.

Well have you gone to listen to speakers locally? If so what did you like?

What about the Definitive's? Are they the ones you want? Here is is an example from audiogon :
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ology-Mythos-G

You could look on saturdayaudio and look at PSB and Monitor Audio. They have a pretty good sale on those that are great for the price.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts