AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here we are I have decided to transform my one car garage into a dedicated home theater using all of the equipment I already have

- KEF LS50

- B&W subs

- INTEGRA DHC-80.3 and DTA-70.1

- OPPO BDP-105

- JVC RS2

- Panasonic ZT-60

- Apple TV

- 16:9 9 feet wide screen

- Leather Sofa

But is where I need help is with the room!

It needs to be completely sound proof and from what I have read the best is to build a room with in a room! With decoupled walls so it can accommodate high volume but most importantly be able to be watched with 4 subs and deep low bass

The room size is 20 L x 11 W x 10 H

I only need one row off seats as I want to use part of the room to put my elliptical machine in the back!

Since I am not very handy I am wondering if you can make recommendations so I know what to ask when I am asking for bids

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,422 Posts
It is highly douptful that you get lucky and the contractor actually knows what Green Glue is and that it is not a glue. You would be better off having a detailed description of how you want the walls and ceiling built and hand that to them and ask them if they can build it that way. If your room is only 11 ft wide now, you need to conserve width and instead of adding new framing for your room within a room, you should employ a clip and channel system on the existing wall framing. Then probably three layers of 5/8 drywall with Green Glue. Ditto the ceiling.

And before you make the investment, make sure garage conversions are permitted in your location.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1523661/building-a-new-theater-inside-my-one-car-garage-help#post_24513345

It is highly douptful that you get lucky and the contractor actually knows what Green Glue is and that it is not a glue. You would be better off having a detailed description of how you want the walls and ceiling built and hand that to them and ask them if they can build it that way. If your room is only 11 ft wide now, you need to conserve width and instead of adding new framing for your room within a room, you should employ a clip and channel system on the existing wall framing. Then probably three layers of 5/8 drywall with Green Glue. Ditto the ceiling.

And before you make the investment, make sure garage conversions are permitted in your location.

Yes that might be better, how about using this instead http://www.greengluecompany.com/products/dry-wall or this http://www.quietrock.com/quietrock-545

Any suggestions about how they should do this?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,422 Posts
The question of "what about this factory made damped drywall panel" comes up all the time. It is a good product compared to regular drywall but in terms of cost you can install two layers of 5/8 drywall and apply the dampening agent on-site for about the same cost of a single layer of 1/2 inch damped drywall. The big difference is the amount of mass you are putting on the wall and that fact that more mass will resist leaking lower frequency sound. You want to crank your subs? you need all the mass you can get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts