AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i'm planning on doing some long term travel to Asia, so i'm looking for the best portable, light weight sound. Can't be more than 4lbs. Here's what i'm thinking so far,

1 x orb mod1 speaker

1 x home made subwoofer. This is where i need some help. Which is the best light weight woofer? If found one that is 2.5". I think this will help round out the orb, or will this be a strange match sound wise? Actually i'm having a hard time figuring out the weight of woofers.

1 x t-amp 2020, found on ebay. Given there are only two speaker outputs, would there be a way to add a 2nd orb micro?

1 x usb dac found on ebay.

All this to play from my acer timeline laptop.

So any suggestions, improvement?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I don't know of any 2.5" subwoofers. Aura makes a high excursion 3 and 4" driver and they're both fairly light. For an enclosure, if it needs to be light, fiberglass in a sphere is your best bet. It can be made thin and won't flex at all. However, it also won't have much damping, so sound will bleed through.

You'd then need some kind of low pass crossover.

Hooking up another orb speaker would require another amp. One could power each orb and the other could power the "sub".

All said and done, it'll probably be easiest to just get a pair of speakers and a small T-amp. Throwing in a compact and lightweight sub isn't an easy task. But it all depends on how creative you are and how much you really want that sub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually i found a 4.5" woofer now that's less then 2lbs something like the Peerless SDS-123 3,5" long stroke woofer.

So how would just the one Orb and this woofer box sound together? terrible? Is just connecting the wires to the woofer not possible? sorry i'm noobie.

As for the headphones, i just don't like headphones they hurt my ears. With speakers i'll listen to music all day.

Maybe i should just get another orb or a'diva ti might give some more bass..?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts