AVS Forum banner

201 - 209 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
that open space makes any application of room mode analysis a great theoretical
but in reality a rather moot point,
however
that doesn't necessarily mean that's what your stuck with . . .
BC for only a few dollars more, < 1K
Would it be possible to build a sub (only 1?) (HA!)
downward firing end table MBM subs of the VBSS 20 hz tune variety?
powered / dialed in with a Berry 3KDSP amp
hopefully someone who actually can deke this stuff
will show you the way of either why or why not
not looking to compromise the FR work you've attained
the 40-ish can be to bring back into the "flow"
they could pick up that MBM duty and maybe bring a bit to TR to the equation

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, you could run another 'fill' sub that is filtered with both a high pass and a low pass, gentle like a Bessel as opposed to L/R, so that where it is running to simply fill the null, once you set the relative delays so that the subwoofers are 'in time' with each other, where the output is similar in amplitude, (in the fill region), the phase should be pretty similar as well. To do that you'll need, of course, separate amplifier channels, as well as separate outputs on the DSP unit, but I don't know why it couldn't work pretty well. The high pass side of it, maybe cutting it off at 30-35 Hz will protect the unit from the excursion requirements, you probably don't need to apply any low frequency boost for extension, and the low pass side on the top, just throwing out 50-55 Hz as a starting point, will further limit the total energy output required, so you shouldn't need an equal, at least from an output capability standpoint. The ultimate 'bandpass' settings would be a process of try/see how it sums/adjust ad nauseum.

I'd prefer another of the same, just to keep everything theoretically tidy, but you can do what you can do. If you haven't already gotten rid of it, you could try using that subwoofer you used to be using, you know, the one you said that you used to verify that the location was just fine :p

I believe you'll get it sorted out. Just keep chugging!

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
^ TY for taking the time for the articulation

·
(insert witty title)
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
I'd prefer another of the same, just to keep everything theoretically tidy, but you can do what you can do. If you haven't already gotten rid of it, you could try using that subwoofer you used to be using, you know, the one you said that you used to verify that the location was just fine :p

I believe you'll get it sorted out. Just keep chugging!
Ohhhh you rascal you! Sneaky sneaky.
inserts foot in mouth

You certainly got me there and you're right to. Something to consider though is that this was my only option for infinite baffle. I went through all the possible locations and this proved to be the only feasible one. Seriously, I appreciate the feedback and constructive thoughts. The unfortunate thing is, I already sold that other sub...

I do have a Dayton SUB1500 laying around I can mess around with. I'm like you though- life just won't be the same unless I get another matching sub. We'll see what happens. I'll deal with what I've got on hand for awhile. :) Luckily with the minidsp 2x4HD, it's no problem EQing two subs separately or together. 2 inputs, 4 outputs, all customizable. Really neat little piece of equipment!!! Speaking of which, I'm excited to try out the 'bass-EQ' thing that adds the lower frequencies back into films. Low end extension is great!

Oh also, I am going to sell my bass shakers. Honestly, I thought I had them on for the past few weeks, but it's just been the LFE. Pretty impressive. Sometimes I feel like the couch is moving. I'll use the money I recoup from that to get something nice that'll blend in. This stuff is so addicting.

Asarose, sometimes I can't follow your acronyms, obviously because I haven't been around as long. Wait, that wasn't an insult! ha! If you don't mind, from what you said:

hopefully someone who actually can deke this stuff
will show you the way of either why or why not
not looking to compromise the FR work you've attained
the 40-ish can be to bring back into the "flow"
they could pick up that MBM duty and maybe bring a bit to TR to the equation
I could take some guesses but that's all they are, lol. Thanks so much for all your help!

Edit: I just realized I may be able to utilize this Seas Excel w26 (10") I have laying around! hrmmmmm.... Back to dats!

·
(insert witty title)
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Ah, I never showed everyone how I ended up wiring the 220v crown amp. I've got it set to turn on when the avr turns on via a smart strip. Obviously the AVR is 110 and the crown amp is 220, so had to think outside the box.

The contactor is hilariously loud. When the avr switches on, there's an audible bang in the basement, LOL.

One thing I did find though is running one of the legs of 220v to a 110v outlet like I did above works, BUT it introduces noise. I'm guessing that's because one of the legs has more of a load on it than the other, and that probably has something to do with not being able to ground properly, I don't know. All I know is I took the power strip and plugged it in to a separate circuit and there is 0 noise from the sub/speakers.

I've got the amps in my server rack downstairs, but I didn't realize that standard server racks are 23" wide, whereas a lot of AV components are 19" wide. Luckily the crown is wider, so that fit like a book but I've got to buy a couple 23" to 19" adapters to make the crestron amp look nice. Don't get me wrong, I have it functional, and it doesn't look horrible, but something about having pieces of OSB inside a server rack just gives me the eebee geebies- LOL

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
In the family dental lab 30 years ago, a 220 v. exhaust fan for grinding dust, on the roof . . was only on/off-ow ran all day
put 1 leg on a low voltage solenoid and low voltage push-on / push off buttons at every work station-
my neighbor (of 37 years) was an electrician laid it out for me
my patron saint was Ed Norton . . .
it's good to have that access

Reactions: disturbedfuel15

·
(insert witty title)
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Measured the Seas Excel W26EX002 finally. Here's what I got:

I've gotta head to the in-laws today but I'll bring my laptop with me and perhaps do some box modeling :D

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
201 - 209 of 209 Posts