AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I hate posting "what should I buy?" types of threads... I am genuinely interested to hear what AVS users think of the following two combos:

Outlaw Audio Model 975 + Outlaw Audio Model 2200 x 2

or

Emotiva UMC-200 + Emotiva XPA-200

My current 2.1 set up is Polk RTiA3 with an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus sub, run through a Yamaha RX-V665. They're in a big room... 20' x 18' (open at one end) with 16' ceilings.

I would like to replace the Yamaha with a dedicated pre-amp and a simple monoblock or 2-channel amp. I was trying to stay around $1000 if possible.

I've read that the Emotiva might sound a bit brighter than Outlaw? I'm more of an analog person... preferring a rounded sound vs. sharp. I was leaning towards the Outlaw set up for that reason... but also wondered if I could use the Outlaw pre with the Emotiva amp and still have the sound I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to buy both and test. That's where your opinions come in!

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Personally, I would stay with the Yamaha. The smaller companies haven't shown a very good track record with AV processors. Sound quality is not an issue. They should all sound like your Yamaha if the DSP is disabled. If they don't then something is wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I do like the sound of my Yahama when in "direct mode." I was just thinking I might get a little more oomph from a dedicated amp. The 665 pushes 90w/channel. I'm certainly ok sticking with what I have and not spending any more money.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgh  /t/1523129/building-a-quality-stereo-set-up-emotiva-or-outlaw#post_24498434

While I hate posting "what should I buy?" types of threads... I am genuinely interested to hear what AVS users think of the following two combos:

Outlaw Audio Model 975 + Outlaw Audio Model 2200 x 2

or

Emotiva UMC-200 + Emotiva XPA-200

My current 2.1 set up is Polk RTiA3 with an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus sub, run through a Yamaha RX-V665. They're in a big room... 20' x 18' (open at one end) with 16' ceilings.

I would like to replace the Yamaha with a dedicated pre-amp and a simple monoblock or 2-channel amp. I was trying to stay around $1000 if possible.

I've read that the Emotiva might sound a bit brighter than Outlaw? I'm more of an analog person... preferring a rounded sound vs. sharp. I was leaning towards the Outlaw set up for that reason... but also wondered if I could use the Outlaw pre with the Emotiva amp and still have the sound I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to buy both and test. That's where your opinions come in!

Thanks!

Do you want opinions based on who knows what, or a fairly good technical estimate?

If you want a fairly good technical estimate, use a SPL meter that has a fast response peak hold feature and measure your preferred peak level in dB SPL.

Here is such a thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8928-Decibel-Meter-Digital-Accurate-Sound-noise-pressure-Level-tester-40-130-db-/271167212819

Once you have a number for peak dB SPL plug it and speaker efficiency data, etc. into this online power calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

It can give you your estimated power needs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to measure my room with something like that, thanks for the link.

I am also interested in hearing folks' opinions on the Emotiva and Outlaw equipment I listed.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts