AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on building a riser and then placing it on the existing carpet. Is this a good Idea? or should I liquid nail the riser and carpet all around.

The important question is how do I get power to the lights for the riser?

Thanks Abe

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Abe, do some searches on the rope light power issue. There are several opinions that have been talked about at length in several posts some of which I have been in.

I did exactly what your first proposition is, made the riser on top of the carpet. I threw some extra carpet pad in between the baseboard that I did not remove and the riser, so that it would not move. now that everything is on top of it, there is no way it is going to move. If I ever want to remove it, well, then I will have to change the carpet anyway because of the marks that the wood will leave (being compressed for so long).

·
Registered
283 Posts
ApoDoc- Check out my link below if you haven't already... I built my 2nd row riser like Scott's...I built and carpeted it and then set the entire unit on existing/matching carpeting. Check out my photo's for how I used my rope lights. I made a 2 1/2" overhang with 3/4" MDF and then tucked the carpet under and then mounted rope lights under the edge so all people see is the light illuminating the step...... I also routered the edges and corners to soften the blow on any ankles and to minimize the bend on the carpet. At any time the entire platform can be picked up with 2 guys and moved or dismantled (heaven forbid!!!).

As far as power to the rope lights I was fortunate and was able to run the extra rope light through a small hole under the overhang and then plug directly to an outlet since my 2nd row riser buts up against one wall...again see photo's for details.

Good luck and fire away with any questions!!

Brett

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Liquid Nails does it really work for a riser. Also, is insulation going to really work for both the riser and stage. I am worried about water that might seep into the basement. Would it be a wiser move to build a riser on top of the carpeted floor.

Thanks

Abe

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My riser and my stage are just sitting on top of my carpeted floor, too. Movement is not a problem, the weight of the riser itself will keep it from going anywhere.

My riser runs from one side of the room to the other, along the back wall. I actually built it about 4" shorter than the room dimensions. This ended up giving me a real nice little cable channel on both sides, which I've used. I also left it about 2 inches away from the back wall to allow another channel.

My rope lights are mounted where the floor joins the riser. You can see in the picture below. My power cord runs out the left side of the rope, through the channel between the wall and the riser, and plugs into an X-10 controlled outlet on the rear wall. Works great, no visible power cord.

This picture isn't the best, but it might help give you an idea. If you want some more detailed pics, just let me know.

http://www.thecitycinema2.com/City_Cinema.jpg

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type of carpeting are you using? This will be in my basement. Do I need padding?

2nd question is I will have two rows of berkline recliners. How high should I build the riser?

Where and what name brands rope lighting have you used? Can I just plug it into an outlet?

What kind of nails? what top of floor?, etc all the information would be useful.

Thanks

Abe

P.S. How do I post pictures here. IMG mean I need my own server?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
my room carpet was installed, so it's padded. No pad on my riser.

My riser is 6" high, some recommend 8 or 10 inches.

All kind of ropelights

here

some are 120V some are low voltage. stick with 120 if you want to dim, etc.

Screw (deck screws) and glue (construction adhesive) is the most popular method. I just used regular nails and a nail gun on mine with no problems.

5/8" or 3/4" plywood or MDF is a good choice for the riser top.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
I'll post some great pictures of rope lighting recently installed under all the steps.

Jeff

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Here is one step with rope lighting.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You installed these before carpeting? I thought rope was installed after carpeting....How do you carpet around the lighting?

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
I am embaresssed to say, but I'll have to ask my contracter.

I have no idea what the order of installation is. I'll double check on Monday.

Unfortunately (actually, fortunately), I am only watching.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,712 Posts
I've seen it done both ways. I've often thought the primary criteria was just who the general wanted to yell at whom ... the electrician at the carpet layer or vice versa. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Erskine
I've seen it done both ways. I've often thought the primary criteria was just who the general wanted to yell at whom ... the electrician at the carpet layer or vice versa. :)
Dennis-

Truer words were never spoken!

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.