AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my contractor today and he has agreed to build some custom "built in" cabinets. The fire place only sticks out 14 inches so that will be the depth and length will be from the wall to fireplace to wall again. The height will be 46 inches. My concern is i want the doors to be able to have my ir remote signals to go through. Is there some mesh or tinted glass that you can recommend. Also the red is the wall speakers that are going to be added.

thanks

ferrari

·
Registered
400 Posts
What sort of components are you wanting to put in your shelves? 14 inches will be pretty shallow for many receivers and even cable-boxes/PVRs. Make sure what you want will fit in there.

Also, your contractor may not think about ventilation for your components.

I haven't had any problem with remote signals penetrating smoked glass. As well. grill cloth or mesh should let the signal through. Also IR repeaters are not too expensive, so if you wanted a solid door, it could be done as well.

I would worry more about the ventilation and size of the cabinet more.

Greg

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
As scope said, be more worried about that shallow 14 than you are about the remote. There are a lot of options to get IR signals behind hidden doors. In truth though, you will get more answers to that in the Remotes forum.

Personally, I use a URC universal remote with an IR/RF basestation. In addition to the IR signal coming out the top of the remote, it sends an RF signal to a little base station you have plugged into an outlet close by your components. It then blasts IR signals to them inside the cabinet.

As for the size, 14 might be enough to physically contain *some* electronic boxes, but don't forget to leave space for the cords out the back. 14 is just not deep enough, imo.

-Suntan

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,150 Posts
Read about the Harmony 890 with RF to IR capability or the use of something like Hot Link Pro which uses a pencil size receiver eye that can be placed in small hole in the cabinet framing.

Don't forget about the need to provide ventilation as the inside of the cabinet will get hot.

I would personally think about a different design that doesn't go wall to wall and isn't limited to 14 inches of depth. More of a free standing piece of furniture. I would hang some art obscuring at least one of the two windows and get a blind closer to the wall color on the other side. Use a lowboy style cabinet with doors and remove the back so it can breath. Get rid of the jungle sized plants.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16946583

Read about the Harmony 890 with RF to IR capability or the use of something like Hot Link Pro which uses a pencil size receiver eye that can be placed in small hole in the cabinet framing.

Don't forget about the need to provide ventilation as the inside of the cabinet will get hot.

I would personally think about a different design that doesn't go wall to wall and isn't limited to 14 inches of depth. More of a free standing piece of furniture. I would hang some art obscuring at least one of the two windows and get a blind closer to the wall color on the other side. Use a lowboy style cabinet with doors and remove the back so it can breath. Get rid of the jungle sized plants.

Thanks i'll look into the Lowboy style. The plant needs to be watered and it looks better.

I like the idea of having built in cabinets. The reason i went with 14" is because the fireplace is 14". Do you think that it will look strange with the cabinets sticking out 6" or so?

Thanks

-Ferrari

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,150 Posts
You could do a two depth cabinet. A deeper cabinet against the wall and shallow cabinet or open shelves adjacent to the fireplace. If you are going to pile the shelves full put doors on them to hide the crap.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,150 Posts
Actually I would rebuild the whole wall. Board up the windows. Do a floor to ceiling built in cabinet with areas with doors and open areas with shelf lights to display objects and a big pocket for the TV.

Crown molding at the top. Lower the Fireplace surround.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts