AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it would be worth it to build a Subwoofer? I really want an Infinity Enta Sub, but the $350 price is out of my range. Has anyone here built a Sub before? Do you think www.mcmelectronics.com has the quality components I need?

Thanks,

Ren

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yes it can be well worth it. Although most of us spend in the $350 to well a lot more then that on building our subs. Although it certainly is possible to build a great sub for less than $300 (that will kick the crap out of an Infinity Entra). Here are some links that may interest you.

http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html
http://www.partsexpress.com/
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?s=&forumid=22

I also outline two subs I built on my webpage. Although mine was ~$500 and the ones I built for my parents and roommate were around ~$300.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Go to any Car Audio dealer that is authorized to sell JL Audio. Buy a 12W3v2 (about $200). Ask the store to see JL's reference manual that gives a variety of enclosure solutions depending on the quality and quantity of sound you want to achieve. Build the box or have the dealer do it. The result may not be furniture, but it will be on a sonic par with $1500+ branded HT/HiFi subs. Of course you'll have to get an amp to drive it. If you don't have one lying around, you can pick up something on the cheap off eBay or from the used shelf of your local Hi Fi shop. Tight, deep, dynamic bass does not have to cost a fortune. But you'll never know what you're missing if you buy a branded sub under$400. It will be a one-note thump-thumper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all of your help in locating parts and especially for your advice and suggestions as to what I need to do to build a sub.

--Rene

·
Registered
801 Posts
I can't agree with Pete's recommendation. It's not bad, just that you can do better. Dual 2, 4 or 6 ohm voice coils are more suited to car audio and the efficiency is a little low for the price. For $100 you can get a Dayton DVC12" that will perform much better for home use (lower Fs, higher Vas, more displacement, higher efficiency, lower Qts and dual 8ohm coils). Touch more you could get an Adire Shiva. For $200 you could get a Stryke AV12 which is a big step up over the JL. Step up to 15" drivers and you could have a Dayton DVC15" or Adire Tempest for less than $150 and the result, if built correctly (read very large enclosure) will be something very similar to a SVS Ultra.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dustin is pretty much got you on the right track. The JL woofers are great quality (I should know, I have one) for car audio, but were not designed to work well in the home environment. It can still be a great performer, but not any better than the Dayton or Stryke drivers that Dustin mentioned.

And the best part is you'll save a few bucks at the same time! :)

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.