AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm planning for building a system for both home theater and music. To have better sound for music without influencing the home decor too much, here is my current plan for a 5.1.2 system:

Left and Right: Klipsch Forte IV
Center: PRO-180RPC LCR
Rears: Not selected yet
Atmos: Not selected yet
Subwoofer: Not selected yet
AVR: Marantz SR7015

And here are the questions I want to get your opinions on:
1. I know PRO-180RPC LCR should be paired together as LCR, just wondering if anyone knows would it perform well with Forte IV? Since the L&R would be floor standing, would PRO-180RPC LCR sounds weird since it's in the ceiling?
2. For the rear speakers, I used to think about Pro-180RPC LCR as well. But I'm not sure if 45 degrees would be too much for my space? Would Klipsch CDT-5800-C or regular PRO-180RPC perform better?
3. For the Atmos, it's kind of similar, the 45 degrees may be too much for the atmos speakers, would Klipsch CDT-5800-C or regular PRO-180RPC perform better?
4. As for the sub, I'm thinking about GoldenEar SuperSub X, but if the in-wall or in-ceiling speaker like PRO-1000SW or PRO-800SW could perform similarly, I may prefer the in-wall or in-ceiling solution. Any suggestions?
5. For the AVR, I think all the speakers I'm looking at have high sensitivity, I think SR 7015 would definitely be enough for HT. But for the music, would it be worth having an amp for the Forte IV to get better sound? or just upgrade the AVR to Denon 6700h?

I really appreciate your help in advance!
I also attached my floor plan with the location of the speakers I'm thinking of now.

EDIT
Thanks for all the feedback! I would forget the in-ceiling center and rears. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me suggestions on:
1. Any recommendations on the center and rear speakers which would well pair with the Fortes?
2. If this is the case, would it be worth it for me to upgrade to a 5.1.4 system?
3. For the sub, would the in-ceiling or in-wall sub perform well?

UPDATE
This is the 5.1.2 system I'm thinking of, any feedback would be appreciated!

Center: RC-64III
L/R: Forte IV
Rears: RP-502S
Atmos: PRO-180RPC-LCR
Sub: SVS SB16-ultra
Receiver: Denon 6700H
Rectangle Font Technology Diagram Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Don't use an in-ceiling speaker for your centre channel...

For your sub(s), go with something from Rythmik, HSU or Power Sound Audio. You're going to get way more sub per dollar spent with those three companies, so forget Golden Ear.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
I know PRO-180RPC LCR should be paired together as LCR, just wondering if anyone knows would it perform well with Forte IV?
The Fortes perform at a level a couple of orders of magnitude better than those in-ceilings...
Since the L&R would be floor standing, would PRO-180RPC LCR sounds weird since it's in the ceiling?
... and they will sound weird together as their tonal characteristics, distortion profiles (especially as levels rise) and most importantly their polar patterns won't gel at all and you will always be aware of these especially as the material pans from one side to the other.

Forgo the centre, toe the Fortes in to cross just in front of the main listening position. The controlled directivity will mean you'll never notice the lack of a centre.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Use a third Forte or a Heresy.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
I think all the speakers I'm looking at have high sensitivity
Heritage range speakers meet the claimed sensitivity, but since PWK died, Klipsch have been using an "in room" sensitivity number that's about 6dB high. I've posted before independent measurements that show this in the past.
Use a third Forte or a Heresy.
Not necessary at all for that room layout, but better than the original suggestion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't use an in-ceiling speaker for your centre channel...

For your sub(s), go with something from Rythmik, HSU or Power Sound Audio. You're going to get way more sub per dollar spent with those three companies, so forget Golden Ear.
Thanks! I would get rid of the in-ceiling center and rear plan. Do you have any suggestions on these? (Prefer Klipsch products)
Also for the sub, do you think the in-wall or in-ceiling sub would perform well? Since I plan to have the rears with stands, I may not have a lot of space for the sub now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Fortes perform at a level a couple of orders of magnitude better than those in-ceilings...
... and they will sound weird together as their tonal characteristics, distortion profiles (especially as levels rise) and most importantly their polar patterns won't gel at all and you will always be aware of these especially as the material pans from one side to the other.

Forgo the centre, toe the Fortes in to cross just in front of the main listening position. The controlled directivity will mean you'll never notice the lack of a centre.
I appreciate your suggestions. Do you have any recommendations on the center (either classic or in-wall) and rear speakers to pair with the Fortes?

Heritage range speakers meet the claimed sensitivity, but since PWK died, Klipsch have been using an "in room" sensitivity number that's about 6dB high. I've posted before independent measurements that show this in the past.
Gotcha. Since the actual sensitivity is lower than what Klipsch uses, do you think SR 7015 is enough for the system and my room? Should I upgrade it or just add an additional amp?

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
I appreciate your suggestions. Do you have any recommendations on the center (either classic or in-wall) and rear speakers to pair with the Fortes?

Gotcha. Since the actual sensitivity is lower than what Klipsch uses, do you think SR 7015 is enough for the system and my room? Should I upgrade it or just add an additional amp?
The RC64 would be a good match with the Fortes if you can't fit a Heresy under the screen.

Klipsch has several wall mount speakers that can be used as regular surrounds, up firing Atmos or as height speakers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 7015 outputs a legit 125 WPC in stereo, so it has more juice than those speakers will need to sing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RC64 would be a good match with the Fortes if you can't fit a Heresy under the screen.
Thanks! I don't think I would have space for a heresy. I'm currently in the middle of RC64 and RP-504C. Do you think the RC64 would be worth one more grand?

Klipsch has several wall mount speakers that can be used as regular surrounds, up firing Atmos or as height speakers.
And for the surroundings, since there are windows on my back wall, I may only be able to consider them with stands. And for atmos, I'm thinking still have Pro-180RPC LCR in the ceiling.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Thanks! I don't think I would have space for a heresy. I'm currently in the middle of RC64 and RP-504C. Do you think the RC64 would be worth one more grand?
The Reference III-serise RC-64iii has a 1.25" compression drier with a titanium membrane that will have much hight power handling and clean output than the tweeter in the Reference Premier series of speakers. The Reference III-series is on a completely higher level than their non-Heritage speakers (not counting their THX Ultra II).

Reactions: Kini62

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Thanks! I would get rid of the in-ceiling center and rear plan. Do you have any suggestions on these? (Prefer Klipsch products)
Also for the sub, do you think the in-wall or in-ceiling sub would perform well? Since I plan to have the rears with stands, I may not have a lot of space for the sub now.
I think the RC64 or RP-504C you have in mind are good options - personally I would go for the nicer finish in the RC64, but if you're not looking to spend a bunch of money the, 504C would also be fine.

Dear Lord no on the in-wall/in-ceiling sub.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts

And for the surroundings, since there are windows on my back wall, I may only be able to consider them with stands. And for atmos, I'm thinking still have Pro-180RPC LCR in the ceiling.
RC64 matches better output wise and probably sound wise with your Fortes. The RC64 will have much more headroom and dynamics than the 504. You spent $2K apiece for the Fortes why throw a lower end center in the mix.

Surrounds should be on the sides not in back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the RC64 or RP-504C you have in mind are good options - personally I would go for the nicer finish in the RC64
RC64 matches better output wise and probably sound wise with your Fortes. The RC64 will have much more headroom and dynamics than the 504. You spent $2K apiece for the Fortes why throw a lower end center in the mix.
There is no middle. RC-64 III is the way to go.
Thanks, guys, I would definitely go with RC-64 III.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You may need to move the couch forward for better sound. I would move the Atmos speakers back some with the rears being up against the back wall or as close as possible.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The in wall or in ceiling subs are going to be awful compared to the smallest offerings from PSA, Rythmik or HSU. Make room for a solid sub or two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts