AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have three windows in the room that measure 98" wide x 52" tall, out to out on the wall mounted (not in-jamb) horizontal blinds. I want to build a 1x4 frame that I can set over the top rail of the blinds and cover the frame with blackout cloth. This way I can remove the panels and make the wife happy (most of the time, anyway). I did this with a 6'x3' window and painted mahogany plywood and that worked quite well. Problem is these larger frames would require seams in plywood sheets and further backing than just the outside frame, which doesn't work in this setup.

I can't seem to find blackout fabric in other than 54" wide, which is just too close for comfort. Anybody know where I can get some around 60" wide?

Or has anyone tried felt for blackout? Double layer black felt seemed to block out window light pretty well at the fabric store, though the white color of a blackout shade would be more appealing against our eggshell white walls.

See ya. Dave

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I know you said something in your post about seaming the plywood, but...

Does anyone sew? You can seam the blackout cloth like you would piece a bedspread- have the center section the 54" width, with two 27" widths on either side if this is something that is seen. If not, just seam the two 54"widths together. (the reason for the "bedspread" seaming is that it looks nicer when complete)

To my knowledge 54" is the only width of blackout, but you may want to try contacting a custom drapery fabric workroom. They may have a source that actually does larger blackout cloth widths!

Pam

·
Registered
523 Posts
I found wider blackout cloth once, but can't remember where. It was a theater supply company of some sort. They do theater curtains, etc. including blackouts. Try an internet search for theater blackout fabric, or some such thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.