AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Processor - Dual Core, Intel or AMD, depending on your preference

Motherboard - to match processor selection, mATX is usually a good choice

I personally like MSI and Asus motherboards with AMD dual core processors (socket AM2). There are some nice MBs with integrated Nvidia 6150 graphics that are powerful enough to do 720P HD.

If you want better graphics, then the Nvidia 7600GS or 7600GT is excellent and power efficient and available with a passive heatsink. ATI uses more power, so I don't recommend them.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
depends on what you want out of your HTPC, do you plan on doing HD DVD or BD DVD playback? or any HD DVRing or anything like that?

What exactly are your requirements out of the system?

- Josh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am on my way to having a pretty good system. I just ordered the processor and an MSI K9N SLi Platinum motherboard.

I still need to get RAM memory, a couple hard drives, a case and a psu. I have the rest already.

I think I'm going to start with 2 gigs of ram and 2 320GB internal hard drives. If I need more hard disk space I will just use a couple of externals. I'm like a **** roach-I'm scared of raid.

What should I go for on a psu- is 500W too much/not enough? Do HTPC cases usually come with them built in?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
adamt, despite our prodding, you are doing a great job of not giving us enough info to answer your questions. "HTPC" is like "vehicle" - one kind does not fit all.

IF you are going with an SLI setup (as your mobo indicates you may), 500W may not be enough, otherwise, it should be fine. DEPENDING on your intended uses, 2GB of RAM may be overkill.

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
you are doing a great job of not giving us enough info

I've always been good at that.

Sorry for my ambiguity. It seems I am still learning alot about all this stuff. I did like my little joke about raid and I think it's funny that I was censored for saying c0ck roach. And I just learned that I might have to go raid because there is only one IDE header on this mobo. I don't know if it's older knowledge or just ignorance, but I'm only familar with using IDE devices versus sata.

I guess I should clarify what I intend to use this beast for.

First and foremost I want to use it to watch movies and listen to music in my "home theater" I have a 6.1 surround sound system with a 720p projector. My next major purchase will be a 1080 HDTV after that I will upgrade my projector to 1080. I'm talking at least 5 years down the road. But I want this computer to be able to accomodate those upgrades. I will also use it to surf the web some and maybe play some video games, but I'm not by any means a gamer. I like to have options and even if I'm not using all of them right now I like to keep them open for later.

So I guess I should get a larger psu and cut back on the RAM for now.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
well first off there really isn't any difference in terms of setting up sata over ide, you just plug it and and go.

What I'd say is make sure your video card is HDCP compliant, I guarantee some day down the road it'll come into play and if you want to mess around with maybe adding an xbox 360 hd dvd drive to your setup an hdcp video card is required for that. Not saying you have to go that route but it worth mentioning at least.

Also 5 years down the road your PC will be obsolete, in PC terms, hardware is pretty much obslete the day you buy it, and extreamly obsolete in less than 2/3 years.

For example I built an pretty beefy HTPC 2 1/2 years ago, 3.2ghz P4, 2gigs of ram, nvidia 6600GT ect well now to date, its not even fast enough to support HD DVD or BD DVD playback and yet I can't even upgrade the video card to support HDCP as its not PCIexpress.

So to build a PC to last 5 years, espcially with how the computers are changing with requirements like HDCP, and cable card and all that crap, 5 years its far too forward looking. Also since you went the AMD route, AMD isn't the big bad guy on the block any more, Intel with their core 2 duo's and quad core duo's are the king of the hill right now. Also you didn't say which AMD you bought is it Socket AM2 or the older Socket 939? I hope it was AM2 as socket 939 is on its way out the door, just like AGP.

When it comes to computer cases's I am a little different, I'd rather have a quiet full tower case with two large low rmp fans, something like the Antec Sonata II, thats my case of choice right now, its cheap, good looking and quiet to boot, then throw it in a closet and you don't even see it

but if you do buy a case with out a PSU, check out www.silentpcreview.com great reviews on quiet PSU's.

- Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.