AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine has a nice JL audio subwoofer for car audio. We were going to dive into the world of DIY speakers. We thought about constructing a box and buying a home theater amp for the speaker. Is it possible to build a home theater sub from a car audio sub? Are all the subs essentially the same? Thanks! Sorry if its a dumb question.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did this with an old kenwood 10" that I had lying around. It worked ok, but my av15-x is so much better in every way, and that's on the same amp too. I think car subs aren't designed to play as low as a ht sub is, but I'm not what you would call an expert either.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I have seen a few builds using JL subs. You will need the TS parameters and down load one of the free programs, or post back here with the parameters.

There are a ton of really helpful folks here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, but WOW! straight over my head
. What would happen if I just bought an amp powerful enough to power the sub, and built a box to JL audio specs? Would it sound bad?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It wouldn't be ideal. The manufactures reccomended boxes are garbage and way too small. Do a search on google or what not with the exact model and name of the driver looking for its T/S specs. They'll be something like MMS, CMS, SD, BL, RE, QMS, etc........ They should have numbers next to those specs. Once you obtain those we can go from there. But if you want it turn out half decent don't just make a box you think will work. There's a little more to it than that such as proper port size and tuning, amplification without exceeding the drivers excursion, etc.....

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLivings /forum/post/18295673

Would it sound bad?

Other than in a car, yes. Both the driver and the box would be attuned to the needs of a very small space.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Careful there Bill--this may be true of the JBL driver (no personal experience with it myself) but that's a dangerous assertion to make as a general rule. Some notable 'car' brands have proven themselves in HT, such as Elemental Designs.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller4299 /forum/post/18296845

Some notable 'car' brands have proven themselves in HT, such as Elemental Designs.

I would assume not in the same enclosure as used in a car, which is the OPs intent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts