Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

thinking about building a HTPC which also doubles as a home LAN server...

would performance of scalling etc be affected when used with a server? Eg, downloads/uploads while watching a dvd.

which video card would you suggest? thinking about the new Radeon 9800?

audio card? Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum EX card?

what player to run the dvds?

winDVD? TheaterTek? PowerDVD?

tips?

thanks in advance

PS. Dscalers? do i need one?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Game serving won't take up too much CPU resources, however if you're watching DVDs with some extra processing going on(ffdshow for example) then it may be a problem, unless you have a really fast computer.

Video card wise, you don't need the R9800 for either game serving or DVD viewing. A R9500 or R9600 is much cheaper and will do the job just as fine. If you wanna go cheap, the R9000 or R8500 is a step down in image quality, but its only a very minor step. Many people around here are still on R7200s and R7500s. The difference just isn't that much.

Audio wise, you can do better than the Audigy 2. The M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is the current favorite budget HTPC card around here. The Terratec Aureon 7.1 uses the same chip so will probably be just as good as well.

WinDVD, ZoomPlayer, Sonic Cineplayer and TheaterTek are all popular software players.

You won't need dscaler unless you have a video input, or you wanna use the dscaler filters in your ffdshow setup.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It really depends on which games. If you are playing game with 3d graphics, you need to buy the fastest card out there, especially if you want to multitask.

For your setup, a 9500 is the bare minimum. But if you have an eye to the future, with it's increasing demands for CPU and GPU performance, you may want to get a better card.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Unless he actually plays games, a fast video card doesn't do anything for LAN game serving. Being a game server is totally different from playing the game. He can get away even with onboard video.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tips!

the server would be most used for internet.... we hardly play any games at all these days....

i would imagine having the internet server working in the background while watching DVDs...

would adding a capture card affect performance as well? is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
A capture card is only worth it if you want to capture from external sources, or watch cable TV on the big screen through your computer, deinterlaced.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eg HDTV stb? would the capture card be able to handle hdtv?

what inputs does the capture card have? s-video too?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm not sure about HDTV tuners, but there are such things and many members here are using them. Perhaps they'd be in a better position to answer your questions. I'm still stuck with regular cable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AAVI
eg HDTV stb? would the capture card be able to handle hdtv?

what inputs does the capture card have? s-video too?
The Fusion HDTV cards can handle HDTV and are compatible with DScaler. The very recently released Fusion HDTV II has 2 antenna inputs and s-video. I've never used it, and I haven't read any reviews from beta testers yet, so I don't know how well it's working.

Tony

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ooh... interesting... too bad im in Australia thou... no such thing here! slow market...

anyone uses a home theatre GUI for their HTPC? where can i grab one too? interested to see how it works... may even code a simple one myself..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to www.myhtpc.net - great progress being made here.

All the bits for setting up an Australian EPG have also been posted on the forums (unfortunately you'll have to use them with an analogue video card for now).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.