AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time owner of 3 x DIYSG 1899's in my home theater, I've since fallen in love with horn setups. They sound great, but my HT room is on the smaller side, and their pushed up against the back wall and not positioned well for music. I've got a larger room I'd like to build a dedicated pair of horn speakers for music only. I've spent a long time dreaming of building large horn + CD speakers, with dual 15" or 18" high sensitivity woofers in ported cabs. There's alot of options for the woofers, so I'll match that setup to whatever Horn + CD I can find. Issue is I'm having a hard time finding parts. I've briefly looked at:

Seos 24" + BMS 4594 (I only see the Seos 24 available from horns-diy.pl, but is the cost + international shipping outrageous?)
JBL 2384 + 2453H-SL (The JBL horn is easy to get and reasonably priced, but the 2453H-SL is impossible to find now, especially new)

Are there other good options that are more easily obtainable?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
B&C just released their DCX464 driver and ME464 horn. PE has both in stock.

Here’s a test of the CD on a prototype horn. The production horn is supposedly improved.

Chris

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The td m series is about as accurate as you'll find. I love mine. Very musical. Not great if you want to run full range. H would be better fit there. My next build will use the n314x.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd like to see someone DIY a Klipsch Jubilee.

Reactions: flat4

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I've spent a long time dreaming of building large horn + CD speakers
Me too! Though I want to put the woofers on the back, or maybe into a slot, I hope to NOT have the woofer + horn look, want something weirder. Which flies in the face of acoustics and $$$$, since that means crossing over at probably like 600 Hz on a good day.
-DDS make a variety of stuff, up to this large bad boy (32x28"!!) http://www.ddshorns.com/CFD 2-90XL pro.pdf
What I'm finding with this project is that it is tough to find actual measured data of compression drivers on large low frequency horns. There is some out there but not much-and often the responses are ripple-y, indicating time domain problems.
- For instance, this RCF HF99 seems to have a good and smooth response...but doesn't say which bleeping driver was used to make the curves!!! argh.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
If I wanted to go gonzo, I'm with A77 on this one

The DCX464 driver and ME464 horn is about 24 inches wide and has well north of 130dB of output. They will also have a passive crossover board with driver protection rolling out soon for that combo. The only thing you would need is bass, something that will make it up to around 320Hz actively crossed. May I say...because bigger is better and big woofers go with big horns...the Eminence 21" beast? Make the box around 16 cubic feet tuned to 18Hz and high pass it at 16Hz to get full range....the big horn is about 2 feet deep also, might as well make the woofer box that deep so a good option.

Granted, you now have speakers that are used in stadiums in a living area but that is part of the fun. You can never say that horn won't be loud enough, right? :D

That monster horn also makes for an easy build--build a box and slap that thing on top for the win. You can make a basic enclosure for the horn, something light so the entire horn only weighs 50 pounds. Not sure how much a 16 cubic foot box holding the 48 pound Emi 21 inch driver would weigh--maybe 200 pounds.

Get one of those 4 channel pro-amps with full crossover, DSP, PEQ and such to keep it simple. If you want to use multi-channel, Danley Sound Labs as the 20K8C amp (I think?) 2,500 watts X 8 channels or--if you wish to be conservative the 10K8C at "only" 1,250 watts per channel X 8 channels into 2, 4 or 8 ohms.

Well, that is my dream with other people's money--you said the 1899 was not good enough so... unleash the Kraken of Krazy!

Later on, if you don't like the ME464 and Emi 21--I can offer it a good home at no cost to you! :D Yeah, I'm cool like that.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If I wanted to go gonzo, I'm with A77 on this one

The DCX464 driver and ME464 horn is about 24 inches wide and has well north of 130dB of output. They will also have a passive crossover board with driver protection rolling out soon for that combo. The only thing you would need is bass, something that will make it up to around 320Hz actively crossed. May I say...because bigger is better and big woofers go with big horns...the Eminence 21" beast? Make the box around 16 cubic feet tuned to 18Hz and high pass it at 16Hz to get full range....the big horn is about 2 feet deep also, might as well make the woofer box that deep so a good option.

Granted, you now have speakers that are used in stadiums in a living area but that is part of the fun. You can never say that horn won't be loud enough, right? :D

That monster horn also makes for an easy build--build a box and slap that thing on top for the win. You can make a basic enclosure for the horn, something light so the entire horn only weighs 50 pounds. Not sure how much a 16 cubic foot box holding the 48 pound Emi 21 inch driver would weigh--maybe 200 pounds.

Get one of those 4 channel pro-amps with full crossover, DSP, PEQ and such to keep it simple. If you want to use multi-channel, Danley Sound Labs as the 20K8C amp (I think?) 2,500 watts X 8 channels or--if you wish to be conservative the 10K8C at "only" 1,250 watts per channel X 8 channels into 2, 4 or 8 ohms.

Well, that is my dream with other people's money--you said the 1899 was not good enough so... unleash the Kraken of Krazy!

Later on, if you don't like the ME464 and Emi 21--I can offer it a good home at no cost to you! :D Yeah, I'm cool like that.
I will admit the nsw was my first thought after reading the preliminary tests. Then again, the nsw tends to be my first though for most bass applications since I tried some.
Obviously, a single won’t keep up with that cd with the house curve most of us run though. Better add a second 21 above the horn.
Or if you prefer to keep it all B&C, the 21sw152 should make a decent substitute.

Chris

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bass bin has been done several times, the k402 horn has not.

I run the k402 on DIY Belle.

I say find a good horn bass bin and give that B&C setup a try.

I am running a Hypex Fushion Fa123 on my Lascala center that has been modified with the k510. It is sounding pretty. Actually looking for a coaxial driver from either BMS or B&C.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
796 Posts
Following this thread as well. I’m looking for something for 2 channel hifi as well and dream of building a large horn-based system. Don’t think I need something as massive as a 24” wide horn with 21-24” woofer, but something in the style/size zip code of a diy jbl k2 ss9900 with an 18” woofer would be sweet. Maybe that’s just the new diysg titan 818 though?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check out the K402MEH speakers on the Klipsch Forums...designed by Chris A, and he has Jubilee. The MEH is his center channel. I have my front 3 channels all MEHs. K402 horn converted to a Synergy style horn with 2 15" woofers, and according to Chris they sound pretty close to the Jubilees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts