Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
New to the forum. This is my first post. I just received the case today for my HTPC build. It's the Lian Li PC-C32B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case.

My other parts are as follows:

ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME Motherboard

Intel QX9770

Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 Sound Card

XFX 5750 "XXX" Edition Graphics Card HDMI

Mushkin Enhanced Redline DDR3 4GB 2x2 Timing: 6-8-6-24

Pioneer BDR-2203 Blu Ray player/Burner

(2) 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD

CORSAIR 650 W PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

HK 775 CPU cooler "Murdered Out"

355 Pump

BitsPower Multi 80 Res

This is where I'm at so far in the build.

Soundcard:

So my first question, How far am I off on the soundcard? I'll be routing the A/V outputs to my Yammy 1065 Receiver. When I purchased the soundcard I intended it for my gaming rig.

Next question would be, how does my look of Graphics Card look? The reasons I picked that particular GPU would be because of it being XFX for one (double lifetime warranty) and the HDMI output. Monitor is a TGP-54G15 Panny.

Let me know what your thoughts are. I'll be asking a lot of questions along the way. Thanks for having me here

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Am I seeing it right, a $1500 Core2Extreme processor for a HTPC with liquid cooling? I could build 2 HTPCs for the price of that CPU alone.

What are you trying to do with this build since its not for gaming?

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YUP!
A QX9770... This is going to be a HTPC with the ability to play a game or two. Mainly Blu Rays though. there will be a lot of online streaming, i.e. NetFlix, HULU, 'tube.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What other components should I add? A TV tuner card?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overkill?? What, the CPU?? Oh I forgot to mention. This HTPC will "crunch" for me in it's idle time
That's the purpose of the 9770. Hell, I could probably run it @ 4.2 GHz crunching @ 100% and not skip a beat with other tasks. What I really need advice on it the sound and video department of this HTPC build.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Wow sounds Good keep the Pix coming ... that sound card sux Bro ! with the 5750 U don't need it !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're saying I don't need a soundcard at all?? I have yet to unpackage the soundcard for that very reason though. I originally bought it for my gaming rig. But ended up not using it... obviously. What route should I go with in terms of soundcard?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2/23/10 Case and progress pics:

more to come
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18193763

"crunch"???? I'm confused. That PC's overkill for a htpc. Most people use their old PC for a htpc.

Well, I'm not so called "most people" then.

And yes "crunch" As in World Community Grid. Similar to Folding @ Home. But folding is for girls at Old Navy.... I CRUNCH!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way! This Lian Li case is pretty spacious. Build quality is top notch. I have several other Lian Li cases. This build quality and craftsmanship is on par with the other cases. Room for 3 HDDs and 2 5.25 drives. There is a removeable panel in the case roof is someone were so inclined to mount an additional 140mm fan there. Rubber case feet. It also has the screwholes pre-tapped if you'd want to mount this case in a rack. The exterior syling lends itself to blend in with the other A/V equipment. Quite contemporary. If anyone would like additional photos of this particular case, feel free to ask

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18193797

Somebody has a large credit line at the computer store

Pshhh.... This is one of my hobbies. No sponsorship, no credit line, no gimmies. I work hard. That's how I get nice things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eightlug....

Very nice case, bro. I just might have to pick up one if these.

Isn't it refreshing to buy all you're own gear, instead of begging for handouts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah the only time I put my hands together is to pray, not to beg.

It's a little deeper than most of the traditional A/V gear out there. 7" tall (on case feet) 17" wide and 21" deep. It might not fit in some home entertainment centers. Just keep that in mind

All in all a great case though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Making a change on the PSU of choice. I have the Corsair 650W on hand but I'm ordering a FFM Silverstone 700W. Just for the sake of better airflow and better cable management. That Corsair is just a long cabled nappy mess in a PC case.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHTLUG /forum/post/18194023

Making a change on the PSU of choice. I have the Corsair 650W on hand but I'm ordering a FFM Silverstone 700W. Just for the sake of better airflow and better cable management. That Corsair is just a long cabled nappy mess in a PC case.

Get yourself a modular PSU if you could. It is nice not having to hide unused wires. I really like your case. Could you tell me how much room you have from top to bottom on the inside.I was checking your parts and I noticed no SSD? I just grabbed a 40 gig SSD and love it. I am going to get a bigger SSD soon and use the 40 gig as a external drive..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.