AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone says they have been reading here. I see posts of people putting their theaters together but I can't find where to start reading about what to do. I have a 13' X 17' rectangular space in my basement with 7.5 ft ceilings. Right now it is cement floor and cynder block walls. I am going to start framing in the next couple of weeks. I have had home theaters in my homes for the past 20 years but have never built a dedicated theater. I am pretty sure I want to use a Sony ES55 projector with a 130" screen. I know I need an outlet for the subs up front and dedicated outlets for the closet holding the equipment outside the theater room. I do not want electric seats- so no outlets on the floor in the middle of the room. I am thinking about lights that can be dimmed by my harmony remote. That is all I have right now.

Where do I go from here? What should I start reading? What should I know? ALL suggestions are appreciated. Thx in advance

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are in the right place. Read some of the builder's threads here. Lots of great info and ideas + pictures.

For specific items, pick a topic and search it. People build dedicated cabinets. DIY screens or screens for sale, etc.

Plan...plan...plan...put it on paper. Lists. How many speakers. Where located. How is everything connected. Future proofing? Extra conduits, etc.

Floor materials. Wall materials/sound proofing. How to build isolation walls. etc.

There are threads throughout. Search is your friend.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome! You will get information overload but that is ok. Search, plan, revise. How simple, how complex? What budget? All part of the process. Tools? You can buy great tools at pawn shops if you don't have them already to cut costs. Can you borrow the use once never again tools?

My theater was built very simply but I love it. I see others that cost more than my house. That is fine we all enjoy the hobby at the level we can and want. I had collected many used electronics over the years and use them today in my theater room. I paid retail for my AVR but I was ok with that at the time because I had saved so much doing other cost cutting stuff. I had a lot of tools because I am a DIY kind of guy.

Have fun! Don't over think things to the point it stops you dead in your tracks. For me I would start searching how to insulate and sheet rock your wall. How to run cables and wires before the wall goes up. How to make your screen. What kind. acoustically transparent or painted? What kind of speakers? Build or buy? Build kit or scratch build speakers. You have no idea how fun that can be! Or maybe you do.

BEFORE you begin. Make treaty with spouse. You get to make all decisions for the theater room. In return she gets all decisions for REST OF THE HOUSE. We ask opinions but the decision maker gets final say. This will make your project so much better for YOU! There are so many things I have done in my theater room that my wife isn't wild about when she sees it in progress, but she is a good sport about just letting me get on with it. When the upgrade or change to room is done, for example room treatments I did as DIY, she does admit she likes what it does for the quality of the sound. She isn't keen on the stuff hanging on the walls but oh well.

Good luck with you project. Come back often and let us know how it is going. We will help where we can to help you over the humps that seem so tall at the time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Read everything.. don't limit yourself here. If you can, put the build on hold and actively plan.. The more planning you do, the faster you'd be able to build. Make the tough decisions.. Start with technical stuff such as power, HVAC, plumbing etc. Address those first then create a layout. Make the most important decision of all... sound-proof or not? Next important.. AT screen or not? Based on that decision think about speaker type, placement, cabling needs etc. etc.. By then you'd have read enough to know where you're headed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts