AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After reading the entire thread about the Poly-Wall, I am ready to build my own for the Viewsonic PJ1075 that I just received today (YEAH! - it looks awesome even on my plain wall).

I have a couple of questions before I order my sheet on Monday. First, I am thinking about building a sandwich system for my screen. I want to first build a frame using 1 by 4 pieces and attaching the frame to sheets on boths side (and glueing Poly-Wall to the sheet).

My question is, first what material should I use for the frame? 1 by 4 pine? MDF board cut to 1 by 4? Anything else?

Second, what should I use for the sheets? 1/4" plywood? 1" foam? Laminate?

I also have a very common problem for anyone building a home theater in a family room. I have a fairly large fireplace in the middle of the wall where I want to hang my screen. Of course I can always just hang the screen above the fireplace, but that would mean my neck will be cramped after watching a movie.

I've been thinking about this problem for awhile, and using my long forgotten engineering education background, I came up with a very simple two pivot system that I believe will work well.

First, after creating the frame that I described above, I am going to attach the poly-wall on one side and a nice painting on the other. I am going to cap the side with a 1 by 2 pine (creating a frame), and cut a long groove on side pieces. The groove will be attached to a 4" piece of support that is screwed to the wall. The screen will be hung by a metal bolt (embedded in the support) that will serve as a hinge.

This way, I can flip it up above the fireplace and enjoy the nice painting. When I want to watch a TV, I can just flip it half way down the fireplace and enjoy my movie sitting down.

I know it is hard to picture it, but I will post a picture when it is completed. If anyone has done something like this, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Gameboy

· Registered
132 Posts
Your "swingaway screen" sounds like it will work just fine. Just make

sure the screen goes back into the exact position.. you converged it

at. And stay away from any foam... very hard to make it stay flat.

better plywood grades, or composite.. or even that white tile board

that is "too glossy" by itself would work for the backing. Of course

you will need to match the heavier weight to your mounting system.

You want something that is very flat and will stay that way. Your

frame and even the large picture will help it . Now if

we could get the manufacture to bond that polywall to something

flat and true.

good luck

don

· Registered
523 Posts
If you're looking to build a swing up DIY screen, you will probably want it as lightweight as possible. Take a look at this thread DIY Screen for instructions on how to make a DIY screen out of blackout cloth scretched over a frame. I made one and it is very nice and cost around $50. I used MDF for my frame, but if weight is a concern you might use a hardwood.

There is a pciture of mine on my HT construction page, the link in my signature.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot. I may try this. I tried to get Parkland stuff out here in Seattle and no dice.

I want to give this fabric screen a go. I will let you know how it turned out!!!

Gameboy

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot. I may try this. I tried to get Parkland stuff out here in Seattle and no dice.

I want to give this fabric screen a go. I will let you know how it turned out!!!

Gameboy

· Registered
44 Posts
Awesome. I'm on a budget and looking at an lt150z possibly. That is if the ranbows dont get me. So, saving some money on a DIY screen sounds

great. I just need suggestions on a DIY masking system now. Thanks for the posts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.