AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some last minute tips. In the photo below notice the subwoofer. The riser will be built flush into that little corner and run all the way to the back of the room where I have the fish in the Picture.

Should I insulate the Riser? I've seen other people do this but was curious what the benefit would be?

Do you think it would look terrible if I cut down the trim so that I don't have to move the Outlets up the wall?

I'll be reusing the trim. So essentially the trim on the Riser would be about 2-3" shorter than the trim in the rest of the room.

I should also say I'm going to be moving the Equipment into the wall. The whole area behind that wall is unfinished. If anyone can direct me to some nice inwall equipment rack threads that would be great as well.

Wish me luck! I'm going to try and get all this done by Sunday.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/ctbundy/021.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Far from a pro, but willing to give advice none the less. I believe that adding insulation keeps it from resonating like a drum.

If you plan on keeping the trim white and the wall a light color, I'd move the outlets. The difference in trim height will be very obvious. You'll be better able to hide that difference with darker walls and a darker trim.

Here's a link to a thread with rack pictures. Hope it goes well this weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you don't insulate the riser it will turn into the biggest drum you ever saw or heard. All empty enclosed spaces in a home theater should be filled for this very reason.

As for the trim, have you seen where some people have outlets installed "in" the trim? It looks very clean. Not sure of your measurements, but if they are close you may be able to follow that route.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about cutting the trim. My measurements would put the top of the trim about right in the middle of the outlet. If the outlet would be totally in the trim I would go that route in a second. I'm sure i'll end up moving the outlets up...Do outlets have to be a certain height from the floor? If I move them up I should still be within "code"?

As far as painting the trim---I would love to. Unfortunately my wife would say NO. I didn't even ask her. I'm surprised shes letting me build a riser!!!! In my house I take what I can get and don't push it

Is there any sort of Insualtion I should use? I've also read I should be using roofing paper. Where would I put that?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If she is complaining about the noise, heavy curtains will do little or nothing to help.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Take a look at the riser section in my build (see signature) for instructions on building a riser. The riser also makes a great bass trap.

Is she complaining about the noise when she's in another room and you're in the theater, or the noise when she is in the theater with you?

CJ

------

edit- here's a direct link to the riser info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14176394

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/16953262

Take a look at the riser section in my build (see signature) for instructions on building a riser. The riser also makes a great bass trap.

Is she complaining about the noise when she's in another room and you're in the theater, or the noise when she is in the theater with you?

CJ

------

edit- here's a direct link to the riser info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14176394

Thanks for the reply. That article you posted in your thread looks amazing. I'm on the road now and will study your build thread when I get home tonight.

As far as the noise issue. She complains when she's upstairs. I need to find a way to cut down the noise coming up the stairs.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbundy /forum/post/16954664

As far as the noise issue. She complains when she's upstairs. I need to find a way to cut down the noise coming up the stairs.

Stairs are notorious conduits of sound and hard to isolate. Do you have a build thread in here? Some people may be able to give you some ideas to help with the sound isolation if you have some pictures and/or drawings. You may want to hold off building the riser in case one of the suggestions is adding another layer of drywall.

1 Infinite Loop- Glad it helps...just trying to give back to AVS

CJ

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/16960231

Stairs are notorious conduits of sound and hard to isolate. Do you have a build thread in here? Some people may be able to give you some ideas to help with the sound isolation if you have some pictures and/or drawings. You may want to hold off building the riser in case one of the suggestions is adding another layer of drywall.

CJ

Another layer of drywall will not happen as I put the top on the Riser yesterday(next time for sure
). I want to Thank You for your thread again because it helped alot. I know my Riser is built correctly.

I'll go take some pics of the Stairs and put them up now.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Open stairways will always be a problem.... there really isn't any reasonable solution to the noise issue.

Which is why most of us build dedicated rooms.... with doors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts