AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My sub is also on my riser and I gave the sand-filled box a try. Have no way of knowing if it actually made a difference, but it was easy to do so I figured it was worth a try. Pics here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Dampen and strengthen the sheeting on top, fill it with insulation, and I honestly don't think you need sand. Just my opinion, though. I'm basing this on my past experiences as well as some of the sand/stage testing that Granroth did that I'm extrapolating to the riser. I've decided not to deal with sand on my current build even though I did in my first build 10 years ago. Like spaceman said, though, it's unlikely to hurt anything.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dampen and strengthen the sheeting on top, fill it with insulation, and I honestly don't think you need sand. Just my opinion, though. I'm basing this on my past experiences as well as some of the sand/stage testing that Granroth did that I'm extrapolating to the riser. I've decided not to deal with sand on my current build even though I did in my first build 10 years ago. Like spaceman said, though, it's unlikely to hurt anything.
How do I dampen? Should I use the roofing felt between the 2X12's/ 2X10's and the plywood? Will this be enough? I don't want anything to rattle.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
How do I dampen? Should I use the roofing felt between the 2X12's/ 2X10's and the plywood? Will this be enough? I don't want anything to rattle.
A lot of guys use roofing felt between layers. Lately guys have been using green glue.

I will have two subs on my riser. Triad bronze inwalls. Nothing crazy. I did 3/8 inch rubber on concrete (per some help here). I then liquid nailed and screwed first layer of 3/4 inch t&g decking to my frame. I then did my layer of green glue and second layer of same material screwed into joists of frame ( that is an impt part I was told also). I made sure my seams were staggered also for second layer from first.
I insulated the whole riser. No sand. Deff feels very solid and can't see how I would ever get a squeak.

Jim

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The idea of using sand is to damp out resonant vibrations. If you don't use sand, make sure that your riser is built solidly, especially the decking that goes on top. Make sure that you use multiple OSB or plywood layers. Ideally with Green Glue, or alternately, heavy roofing felt between the layers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think you got your answer a couple of times from others, but ya, state of the art on this right now is multiple layers of sheeting with Green Glue in between. Will be damped and strong. Using roofing felt would be good, too, but presumably not as good as GG. As Big said, if you can build it without touching the walls, you've just eliminated another source of possible rattles and squeaks as well as decoupled it from the walls to cut down on the transfer of vibration. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A lot of guys use roofing felt between layers. Lately guys have been using green glue.

I will have two subs on my riser. Triad bronze inwalls. Nothing crazy. I did 3/8 inch rubber on concrete (per some help here). I then liquid nailed and screwed first layer of 3/4 inch t&g decking to my frame. I then did my layer of green glue and second layer of same material screwed into joists of frame ( that is an impt part I was told also). I made sure my seams were staggered also for second layer from first.
I insulated the whole riser. No sand. Deff feels very solid and can't see how I would ever get a squeak.

Jim
Hey, Jim. Did you use the rubber with a layer of sheeting material over that and then the framing, or did you build the framing directly on the rubber?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
To the guys putting subs on their risers - does it give the same feel (albeit probably to a lesser extent) as having Buttkickers installed in seats or can you not feel it?
pfft, buttkickers...

the compromises you have to make when your room is tiny... but yeah, while i've never felt 'buttkickers', i can't imagine wanting more of a tactile feel. the sub is basically underneath the backrow seating, and vents into the back of the front row seating(the holes cut into the 2x6's not shown in above pic). in the back row, it's vibration city, in the front row it's quite pleasant. my riser is built on top of a layer of carpet, and does not physically touch any of the walls, so while it shakes like mad, it doesn't add any rattles to the room, unless somebody puts their cell phone in the cupholders, than it's SUPER annoying, haha.

and no, i would not recommend putting the sub under your riser. it was just something i 'had' to do if i wanted the sub in the same

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pull the riser framing away from the wall. leave a gap in the decking as well
a little late for me there. I have the riser almost on every wall but not screwed into it. I have a little roofing felt between the riser and the wall. How do I leave gaps in the decking? Thx, Big. You are a WEALTH of information!!! Slowly but surely, my room is coming together with help from all of you!

·
Registered
304 Posts
a little late for me there. I have the riser almost on every wall but not screwed into it. I have a little roofing felt between the riser and the wall. How do I leave gaps in the decking? Thx, Big. You are a WEALTH of information!!! Slowly but surely, my room is coming together with help from all of you!
I think he meant leave space between the decking and the walls as well as space between the riser framing and the walls unless Big is about to blow my mind. Of course you would need your framing to be a bit smaller to keep the decking smaller, so it might be too late for you on that one, too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts