AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a 2000sf house with a 1000 sf walk out basement. I want to put a home theater down there, but the room will be used for other things and will have windows for future resale etc (will have dark shades). Anyway, I was wanting comments on this design, to see if anyone spots some potential problems or has suggestions on placement.

Stairs will be spindled but there will be a door at the top of the stairs so no light creep from there. Hallway goes to bathroom and door to unfinished space(2 more bedrooms). THinking about a sanyo or a panny projector but it wont be done for 8 months to a year so that could change.

Other thing is above this room is the master bath and a part of the master BR. Daughters bedroom is on the edge of bottom wall. Do I need some sound dampening?

Plan is hugger ceiling fan (9" hang) with ceiling mounted projector. Panny could go behind the couch but then it would be in the walkway 8' ceilings and I figure the projector would leave a 6'10" clearance??

I was thinking about the regressed ball canned lights for flexibility. I could flip the room around and put the screen on the left side but it doenst seem to work as well as there is no place for the receiver.

http://legolasext.ogci.com/misc/newhouse/mediaroom.gif

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think I'd be inclined to take a chance of the fan being in the projection path. Install two fans instead of one and push them out to the sides - roughly between the recessed cans.

On the cans, what's the spacing between them? If too much you'll end up with 4 individual blobs of light instead of nice uniform coverage. Unless, of course, that's the look your after - then never mind. :D

Concerning the rooms above - absolutely plan on a sound deadening program if you have ANY intentions of using your TH while others occupy those rooms.

As you mentioned, you needant worry about light creep from the upstairs door, but you will have to worry about sound escaping from the HT, right up that nice, open stairway. Again, if you intend to use the HT while others occupy the rest of the house, and realistic SPL's are anticipated, you may need to consider closing off the stairway and adding another door at the bottom.

Consider either a sconce, or another can at the bottom of the stairs - the landing.

Just a few suggestions......

Dan

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Not sure that the lower switch for the stair light is close enough. Check code.

Could you put the equipment rack under the stairs?

You're doing area lights, but no task lights. Should be task lighting over the sink, the adjacent counter, and the bar. Then no need for the bar area lights.

How are the equipment faces lit?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Builder should catch any code issues, plan isnt final yet. No good place for the switch tho. Lights are 7.5 feet apart I think, could be too far, Ill check that.

Bar will have upper cabinets so task lighting would have to be under them I guess. Hanging glasses will be over the actual bar area.

'

The fan shouldnt be an issue, hard to have 2 in there, dont want it too close to the stairs.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I would move the back lights closer to the wall to illuminate the corridor behind the couch

add second fan (both with light ) and bring them closer to the couch make the three columns of lights independent (back, fan, forward) and make sure the fan can be controlled separately from the lights at the switch (so 4 switches= 3 lights, 1 fan)

why?

1) there is no need in an HT for front lights near the screen, so front light is there for future

2) you might want the fan but not the light, you don't want to need to play with chains from fan or it being in the way

3) you might want to leave the back lights dim in case people pass by (or if you automate to turn only the back ones on)

4) the fan light could be used to illuminate the seating area

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea with controlling the lights separately, I never would have thought of that. 2 fans might work, Ill mock it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at Menards today picking up stuff for finishing my basement and saw that canned lights have a 4' radius if you have 8' ceilings. So I would plan accordingly.

Something to consider for your floors is Dricore. I can't post a link as I'm a new member.

I just finished installing dricore on the floor to help with any dampness and cold. It might also help dampen the sound with cement floors. Here is the link.

In stall is pretty easy as I installed 230 pannels this weekend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My basement will be dry, it is built on a slope and level with the ground at the back of the house (walkout). Will have french drains and such.

Here is the revised plan. I am wondering if I even need ceiling fans in here since it is a basement. I went in a model under construction when it was 100 degrees out and it was very cool down there when there were no windows at all. I could just do 6 cans like this and replace the cans with ceiling fans later if I had to.

http://legolasext.ogci.com/misc/newhouse/mediaRoom2.gif

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Besides the basement being better insulated, cold air falls into the basement. You will want circulation, whatever the temperature. Is there a duct and return in the room?

I'd replace the fans with lights. That would also provide a light at the base of the stairs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fans would have lights on them if I did it this way. SHould be a return in here, this is the only room we are finishing down there besides the bathroom and the downstairs has its own unit.

I will use this room more for general tv and entertaining more than pure movies. Will move the couches and play poker down there alot, TV will be on with WPT going. Got a bar and a bathroom so people dont go waking up my kids going to the bathroom (like they do now). Man this will rock, can't wait now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Whalemangler, a bit o/t but what are you using to do your sketches? I've been looking for something easy to use to lay down my plans that I have sketched.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.