AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Am building a new home in the coming months and have begun considering a setup. The home has a dedicated media room but I'm starting to think about the entire house infrastructure and options that go with it.

Feel like I need advice on what I should do from people who have done before (and are more techy than me). It might be best if I just give a brief run down of what I want and want the house to provide and people told me what/how best to do it.

Wants:
1. Hub in media room containing server, router for internet and any other necessary equipment. (not too concerned at this point about brands and models of equipment....more concerned about infrastructure).
2. HDMI points around the home connected to the hub.
3. I also want the house to be wired in certain rooms for audio that can be controlled remotely (iPad etc) that connect to the server for accessing music.

Q's
Should I have a server that connects to the internet or is it safer to have storage like this not connected to the net? (it will be housing photos/videos of the family etc).
Are there any other important cabling setups that should be considered to run around the house before walls are sheeted?(other than audio/internet/hdmi points).

I guess what I'm asking is that I've got a blank canvas, and without breaking a budget I want to know how to setup my whole house so that it is tech savy and can evolve as needed.

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Read a bunch of "pre-wiring" and "whole house audio (WHA)" threads and advice down in the Home AV Distribution forum a few down from here... The "Wiring Your New House 101" guide over at cocoontech is another good resource to get you started.

You never get another chance to pre-wire - it's money well-spent. You're on the right track - don't worry about equipment, focus on the wiring and getting the capabilities in the walls now.

Jeff

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Don't be scared of missing something. Cables can always been run later. I built a house 10 years ago and tried to pre-plan everything, but one thing you need to know... What looks right on paper is not always right when you move in. For instance, places we pre-wired for tv made sense on the blue prints, but after moving furniture into the house the tv didn't work in that spot and had to be re-done. I also later wanted in-wall speakers in rooms I didn't think I would want them and had to add them later.

So plan the best you can, but you may find things change once the house is 3-dimensional.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts