AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im from Australia and are building my first home and have decided to include a dedicated HT room. Im in need of advice on room size and window locations. As it stands on the plans , the room is 19.68 L x 12.79 W x 8.5 H in feet with small raised windows at the far end. I hope to use a front projector onto a 110 - 120" screen , I have built a audax HT speaker kit which will have to do for now , also have 2 10" 150W subs. But may upgrade latter. I was looking at a pretty basic setup with ceiling mounted projector , and AV equipment up front in a low profile cabinet with the center speaker under the middle of the screen. Was planning on only one main row of seating for four, as it will be only myself and my girlfriend, maybe 2 extra bean bags What advice can you give me on this setup , I can really only change the length of the room and don't know alot about HT setup.

Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
undertoe,

You stated you wanted to make it dedicated HT, however you also mention two windows at one end. Can you elaborate on why you want windows in a dedicated theater? Is it a code thing? Do you plan on staying in this home for several years, or just a few? Are surface treatments important to you for sound? What's your budget for this HT? There are just so many things to consider, but the considerations have to be based on what you want to achieve. Here's a suggestion, check out some of the theaters under construction, especially those that are recently finished or nearing completion in this forum. Try to get an idea of what you like and make a list of those elements. If there are things you're not sure about, post your questions in this thread that you've started. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice if you use this or a similar approach.

When I originally started thinking about ideas for my now under construction dedicated theater, I planned on putting all of the equipment up front under the screen as well. However, once I started looking at theaters here and in "Home Theater" magazine, I realized I prefered not having all that electronic eye candy competing with the movie. I ended up building an equipment rack that resides in one of the side walls, out of view when watching a movie. I guess my point is this, you should decide what looks good to you and make choices accordingly. If you see two or three options you can't decide between or want to know the pros or cons between them, ask your specific questions here.

It's a lot of fun getting into this hobby and creating your own theater. Enjoy the ride.

Craigo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.