AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a home with a walkout basement and am planning on setting up for a projector. There's a lot of light due to its walkout nature but I'm hoping curtains can take care of that.

Looking for any tips/advice so I can do this right the first time. I've attached the basic plan.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ronin,

I couldn't find the attached floor-plan. Our HT in also located in a walk out basement. The room is full of windows, five to be exact and also a glass door to the patio. Originally the room was a media center and light was controlled with inexpensive mini-blinds. When the projector came along the mini-blinds helped, but certainly did control the ambient light pouring in from the eastern exposure.

Once we decided on a dedicated HT I knew that 100% light-blocking shades were going to have to be installed. I searched high and low, received many quotes, and came to the conclusion I was going to have to do it myself...or rather do it with some help from my wife and mother in law.

I purchased black velveteen material and 100% Light Darkening UV resistant drape backing material. I had my wife and mother in law sew curtains that slipped over sash rods. The sash rods allowed me to tighten the curtains close to the window glass, and scrunch up the ends so to prevent light from leaking around the window panes. What I ended up was a beautiful looking window dressing that keeps the light out. Even when the sun in blaring in the east window in the morning...not a single ray of light enters. A perfect domain for a vampire..or night shift worker like myself!

As I recall the Black Velveteen and UV DayLight material cost just under $200, that covered the five windows and glass door. My mother in law said it was a piece of cake, and my wife (who has never sewn before) helped saying it was a "cinch"!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback I'mListening,

That's encouraging to know that I can take care of the windows.

I believe I have my post count high enoucgh now to post the basement layout:

http://ronin-tech.com/images/basement.jpg

As you can see its quite open. The "Games Area" is all part of the open floor, just seperated by a structural ceiling beam. I'm wondering if this would be an audio disaster? I'm considering changing the Tool room to be L-shaped so that the left arch becomes a solid wall, part of a tool room extension.

The ceiling is going to be 9' high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.